Too Hot To Cook

It's so dang hot! It's so hot that I find that I don't have much appetite. This isn't a good thing as I'm Type II diabetic. I love summer fruits and veggies but too much can raise my blood sugar up. Last night I didn't eat dinner, I ate bowls of watermelon, popcorn, and a snicker bar. Yeah, dumb! I've got to get interested in healthier foods but when I'm too hot, I get bored and eat what's quick.

What do YOU eat when it's too hot to breathe?

1 hour ago, Virginia said:

It's so dang hot! It's so hot that I find that I don't have much appetite. This isn't a good thing as I'm Type II diabetic. I love summer fruits and veggies but too much can raise my blood sugar up. Last night I didn't eat dinner, I ate bowls of watermelon, popcorn, and a snicker bar. Yeah, dumb! I've got to get interested in healthier foods but when I'm too hot, I get bored and eat what's quick.

I'm type II diabetic too. My blood sugar was just high enough to be so diagnosed but I brought it down again by diet. I have to stay that way for a year and then I'm signed off. I get tested again in September, so plenty of time. I absolutely loathe hot weather and am thanking my lucky stars that the heat wave occurring in England just now is not affecting us here in Scotland. I go off my food in the extreme heat too. And pretty much everything else. I really need to work harder at losing weight (the cause of my diabetes) and the heat is a valid reason to do that.

I like healthy food too but I eat when I'm bored and it's usually what I can get my hands on.

Best of luck to you. 

We were too hot to cook yesterday too. I had sweet potato crackers (new discovery for me - they’re so nice but a bit too expensive at full price!) and realised they tasted like nachos so I dipped them in salsa. Today is supposed to be even hotter…

I would definitely have had watermelon if it didn’t require walking to the shop though. I love watermelon when it’s hot. 

7 hours ago, Hayley said:

We were too hot to cook yesterday too. I had sweet potato crackers (new discovery for me - they’re so nice but a bit too expensive at full price!) and realised they tasted like nachos so I dipped them in salsa. Today is supposed to be even hotter…

I would definitely have had watermelon if it didn’t require walking to the shop though. I love watermelon when it’s hot. 

Waterloo Flavors | Sparkling Water Flavors | New & Limited Time (drinkwaterloo.cWaterloo Watermelon Can

Edited by muggle not

54 minutes ago, muggle not said:

Ooooh I bet that is lovely. I would definitely try passion fruit, blackberry lemonade and peach too! I don't think we have it in the UK though :wibbly:.

2 hours ago, France said:

My laptop has just informed me that it's 38.5°C (101°F) so I'd n=better call the dog in who is catching some sun.

It's only 30 here and I feel like I'm melting! This is the first time our dog has experienced heat like this. I set up a fan for her in the living room and she's been lying in front of it all afternoon!

One thing I do like in the heat (which I remembered I had in the fridge today) is celery. Sprinkled with a bit of salt, which I always want more of when it's hot!

Salad, salad, salad here too! But it’s limited with tomatoes & lettuce etc.

Did enjoy cold pasta, deli pulled ham hock and a dressing of 0% strained Greek yogurt & red pesto.

I’m on a diet (2 stone lost since March and 2 more stones to loose) plus I’m borderline type 2 diabetes, so it’s hello to the Mediterranean diet and 1,000 calories per day!

On 6/17/2022 at 12:25 PM, Hayley said:

Ooooh I bet that is lovely. I would definitely try passion fruit, blackberry lemonade and peach too! I don't think we have it in the UK though :wibbly:.

I

Waterloo Sparkling Water is a fairly new product and is just now being released in many stores in the U.S. I bought two 8 packs, one of the Blackberry Lemonade and the other of Cherry Limeade. I haven't tried them yet as I just put them in the fridge to get cold. I am anxious to see how they taste. :)

On 6/16/2022 at 11:07 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

I'm type II diabetic too. My blood sugar was just high enough to be so diagnosed but I brought it down again by diet. I have to stay that way for a year and then I'm signed off. I get tested again in September, so plenty of time. I absolutely loathe hot weather and am thanking my lucky stars that the heat wave occurring in England just now is not affecting us here in Scotland. I go off my food in the extreme heat too. And pretty much everything else. I really need to work harder at losing weight (the cause of my diabetes) and the heat is a valid reason to do that.

I like healthy food too but I eat when I'm bored and it's usually what I can get my hands on.

Best of luck to you. 

Thanks, Luna! It's still a challenge but I'm going to push forward. We're about to become pescatarians. We love seafood and salads and I plan to incorporate way more veggies. And I've been forcing more water down my throat. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 6:43 PM, Virginia said:

You don't need to skip your appetites just avoid too many spices and oil in the food. In this way, you can control your sugar as well as taste the food you like most. If sometimes you craved ice cream or cold sweet dishes you can have it once or twice a week, take insulin with it, or if you continue proper walk and exercise so you may not need to take insulin much frequently. I used the same strategy for my grandmother's meal as she is also a type II diabetic patient and her sugar is controlled.

Best of luck to you!

On 20/07/2022 at 11:54 AM, France said:

I've just discovered watermelon salads. Can't believe what I've been missing! Fortunately my husband, who can be very fussy, has decided he loves them too.

I’ve never tried this but I do love watermelon! Actually I bought one yesterday… what else did you add to your salad?

On 7/22/2022 at 8:14 AM, Hayley said:

I’ve never tried this but I do love watermelon! Actually I bought one yesterday… what else did you add to your salad?

Chopped watermelon, chopped cucumber, a little sliced red onion, feta, loads of mint with a dressing made of oil, vinegar and lime juice.

On 7/26/2022 at 11:34 AM, France said:

Chopped watermelon, chopped cucumber, a little sliced red onion, feta, loads of mint with a dressing made of oil, vinegar and lime juice.

France, I am sure that your watermelon salad is very good and refreshing. I enjoy both watermelon and cucumber. My vegetable garden has been producing cucumbers since early April and I have been eating 1 a day right up until now and will continue for another month.

On 7/27/2022 at 8:52 PM, Hayley said:

Thank you! This definitely sounds like one to try (although I'm slightly apprehensive about the texture combination of watermelon and feta - I trust your taste :lol:

Watermelon and feta is one of those great salty/sweet combinations that just work.  Try it!

On 31/07/2022 at 10:29 AM, France said:

Watermelon and feta is one of those great salty/sweet combinations that just work.  Try it!

I will! 

On 30/07/2022 at 1:55 PM, muggle not said:

My vegetable garden has been producing cucumbers since early April and I have been eating 1 a day right up until now and will continue for another month.

That's amazing. Do you usually get so many or has this been a particularly good year!?

19 hours ago, muggle not said:

I always get a good crop of cucumbers. I also give quite a few cucumbers to a couple of my neighbors  2 or 3 times a week. On average I probably pick about 4 cucumbers a day from the garden.

Lucky you like cucumbers, Muggle :lol: Do you just munch them as is?

No, I eat them a number of different ways. Some but not all of the ways to eat cucumbers:

Sliced in a bowl with apple cider vinegar on them

Sliced in a bowl with ranch dressing or bleu cheese dressing on them

Sliced then chopped in quarters with chopped tomatoes, chopped sweet pepper (or jalapeno), apple cider vinegar, olive oil, cilantro, basil, and salt

Sliced with some regular tomatoes or cherry tomatoes and apple cider vinegar and some olive oil

Sliced with some red wine vinegar

I picked these cucumbers this morning. I always have a supply of cherry tomatoes.

Cucumber.JPG

Cherry Tomato.JPG

Edited by muggle not

16 hours ago, muggle not said:

No, I eat them a number of different ways. Some but not all of the ways to eat cucumbers:

Sliced in a bowl with apple cider vinegar on them

Sliced in a bowl with ranch dressing or bleu cheese dressing on them

Sliced then chopped in quarters with chopped tomatoes, chopped sweet pepper (or jalapeno), apple cider vinegar, olive oil, cilantro, basil, and salt

Sliced with some regular tomatoes or cherry tomatoes and apple cider vinegar and some olive oil

Sliced with some red wine vinegar

I picked these cucumbers this morning. I always have a supply of cherry tomatoes.

Cucumber.JPG

Cherry Tomato.JPG

They look wonderful Muggle! Fruit and veggies are an absolutely ridiculous price at the moment. Cucumbers $5 or $6 each and tomatoes $16 a kilo. You'd be saving a fortune here! And so much better tasting.

We often have sliced tomato, cucumber and onion in vinegar but your extra additions sound yummy. Not cilantro though (coriander here) I really don't like it.

Are they telegraph cucumbers? I prefer those, they're never bitter and I like being able to eat the skin.

7 hours ago, poppy said:

They look wonderful Muggle! Fruit and veggies are an absolutely ridiculous price at the moment. Cucumbers $5 or $6 each and tomatoes $16 a kilo. You'd be saving a fortune here! And so much better tasting.

We often have sliced tomato, cucumber and onion in vinegar but your extra additions sound yummy. Not cilantro though (coriander here) I really don't like it.

Are they telegraph cucumbers? I prefer those, they're never bitter and I like being able to eat the skin.

This is the type cucumber that I plant. I have never had a bitter cucumber with them.

Cucumber, Sweet Success Hybrid - Burpee

• 1 year later...