The Premonitions Bureau

lunababymoonchild

This is a factual book about one psychiatrist's belief that people could predict disasters.  There is a lot in this book about the Aberfan tragedy and there really was a Premonitions Bureau. The book doesn't seem to come to any conclusions about whether disasters can be predicted and the predictions made were so vague as to be just about impossible to send out warnings beforehand. 

I enjoyed this for what it was and read the whole book. Still, it turned out to be quite disappointing insofar as the predictions made were too vague to do anything about and were only related to the circumstances after the fact, and even at that not wholly convincingly. 

Not as interesting as I thought it would be.

It's a shame that this wasn't as interesting as it sounds. The premise would have hooked me too! I have heard about the oddness of the Aberfan tragedy predictions before and I do feel as though it would be interesting to look at those from a psychological perspective. I also find the Scottish tradition of second sight really interesting, did they talk about that at all?

26 minutes ago, Hayley said:

It's a shame that this wasn't as interesting as it sounds. The premise would have hooked me too! I have heard about the oddness of the Aberfan tragedy predictions before and I do feel as though it would be interesting to look at those from a psychological perspective. I also find the Scottish tradition of second sight really interesting, did they talk about that at all?

It's a great shame, Hayley. The Aberfan disaster was mentioned all the way through the book and the so-called predictions were used to justify the Premonitions Bureau but they didn't go into the psychological aspect of the predictions.

Scottish second sight wasn't even mentioned.

I read a review of this book and thought it sounded interesting.  As you say it's difficult to know if there is any proof of premonition, especially with the benefit of hindsight.

On 19/05/2022 at 10:23 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

they didn't go into the psychological aspect of the predictions.

Scottish second sight wasn't even mentioned.

Wow, that really is a shame, on both counts!