Your Book Activity - May 2022

lunababymoonchild

On 25/05/2022 at 11:07 PM, poppy said:

Just a wee suggestion, Chrissy. Have you read the Flavia de Luce books by Alan Bradley? I think you would love them :flowers2:

On 26/05/2022 at 2:03 AM, muggle not said:

:I-Agree:

Well, I can't ignore a double recommendation, can I? :)

I took a wander over to Amazon to see what a'kindling books they had, and discovered I bought The Sweetness At The Bottom of The Pie way back in 2015! (Probably having heard about it on here!) So, it looks like I haver found my 'alongside' novel. Thank you both. 

2 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Well, I can't ignore a double recommendation, can I? :)

I took a wander over to Amazon to see what a'kindling books they had, and discovered I bought The Sweetness At The Bottom of The Pie way back in 2015! (Probably having heard about it on here!) So, it looks like I haver found my 'alongside' novel. Thank you both. 

Let us know what you think, Chrissy. Muggle recommended them to me originally and he's never put me wrong yet, in fact some of my favourite books are ones he's suggested. And you got me onto the wonderful Jodi Taylor books, more all time favourites :flowers2:

I think you'll find Flavia a delightful character, she's certainly one of a kind.

15 hours ago, poppy said:

Let us know what you think, Chrissy. Muggle recommended them to me originally and he's never put me wrong yet, in fact some of my favourite books are ones he's suggested. And you got me onto the wonderful Jodi Taylor books, more all time favourites :flowers2:

I think you'll find Flavia a delightful character, she's certainly one of a kind.

Aw shucks, thanks poppy. :)

Chrissy, I hope you enjoy the Flavia books.

Edited by muggle not

Spent a couple of weeks or more on this (in amongst vegetable growing manuals etc!), but last night finished Homer's The OdysseyI read the Robert Macfarlane translation in the Everyman edition.  Far more gripping and 'original' than I anticipated, but not something I could gallop through.  Structure took me by surprise, as expected it to be mostly about Odysseus's travels, but it's anything but, with a huge chunk actually set on Ithaca, either before Odysseus even appears, and after he finally gets there. Slight sense of longeuse two-thirds the way through - the final scenes take too long to arrive, but overall a superb read.  5 stars out of 6 (excellent, if not an all-time favourite).

• Brian. unpinned this topic