Your Book Activity - May 2022

lunababymoonchild

• Brian. pinned this topic
6 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I enjoyed it but I enjoyed her Winternight trilogy much better. Have you read these, Muggle?

Yes, I have read all of Arden's books except book 4 of this series. The Winternight Trilogy was by far her best books. I think it will be tough for her to achieve the same level in future writings, but I may be wrong. :)

1 hour ago, muggle not said:

Yes, I have read all of Arden's books except book 4 of this series. The Winternight Trilogy was by far her best books. I think it will be tough for her to achieve the same level in future writings, but I may be wrong. :)

I agree but hope, since she has the ability, that she will write something as good as the Winternight trilogy

Currently reading Little Sister by Raymond Chandler. The book is starting out very good. The prose in this book is outstanding. this will be the 5th book of Chandler's that I have read and I continue to be impressed by his writing. One of the excellent writers of the Century. I will be sad when I finish reading all his books.

Finished Time Pears' The Horseman a few days ago for one of my book groups - excellent. Will definitely read the other two in the 'West Country Trilogy'.  5 out of 6 stars.

Now moved on to The Odyssey as a precursor to having a go at Ulysses, a book I've always intended to have a go at, but never got around to. As it's the 100th anniversary.....!

After a few months of at best, sluggish reading, I sped through William Boyd's Brazzaville Beach. I first read the book many years ago (20+?), and many aspects of it has stayed with me over the years. I got so much enjoyment from reading it again. So hard to describe, but an excellent read. 

On the back of such a successful re read, I have decided to start Anthony Burgess' Earthly Powers. Another book that left its mark on me many years ago. 

On 5/13/2022 at 8:29 PM, Chrissy said:

After a few months of at best, sluggish reading, I sped through William Boyd's Brazzaville Beach. I first read the book many years ago (20+?), and many aspects of it has stayed with me over the years. I got so much enjoyment from reading it again. So hard to describe, but an excellent read. 

On the back of such a successful re read, I have decided to start Anthony Burgess' Earthly Powers. Another book that left its mark on me many years ago. 

So happy you've got your reading mojo back, Chrissy :yahoo::flowers2:

I've been enjoying books set on the Home Front during WW2. Perhaps it's the courage, humour and resilience of people being constantly bombed and putting up with so many deprivations that's somehow comforting and reassuring, especially with how things are in the world at present.

Just finished Spam Tomorrow by Verily Anderson, and now reading Nothing to Report by Carola Oman.

Recently watched the terrible remake of Stephen King's 'Firestarter' so to prove I was not losing my memory, I re-read the book to check that hardly anything in the new film,was in the book! Having whetted my appetite for a bit of King re-reading (I have read all his books!) I am currently re- enjoying 'From a Buick 8' which is one of the weirder ones; not outright horror,which many people assume Kings work will be, but more into Lovecraftian weirdness, if you will. Also, loosely connected to his 'other world'/Dark Tower series,without being actually part of that series! I know King is a divisive writer; I have a relative who reads four or five books a week,and covers many genres/authors/types of writing; but he has a block about SK and will not read anything of his.

19 minutes ago, timebug said:

Recently watched the terrible remake of Stephen King's 'Firestarter' so to prove I was not losing my memory, I re-read the book to check that hardly anything in the new film,was in the book! Having whetted my appetite for a bit of King re-reading (I have read all his books!) I am currently re- enjoying 'From a Buick 8' which is one of the weirder ones; not outright horror,which many people assume Kings work will be, but more into Lovecraftian weirdness, if you will. Also, loosely connected to his 'other world'/Dark Tower series,without being actually part of that series! I know King is a divisive writer; I have a relative who reads four or five books a week,and covers many genres/authors/types of writing; but he has a block about SK and will not read anything of his.

I love Stephen King and always have. I stopped reading his books when a family member pointed out that my behaviour was being affected by it - he was writing exclusively horror at the time. Recently I've gone back to reading him and enjoyed what I have read. My mother would not read any of his books and wondered how I could. I enjoyed this most of all because she was the kind of person that would pick up my book and not give it back until she had read it, so I could put any of Stephen King's books down and she tried them but would not continue. 

I remember enjoying From a Buick 8, it was odd and reminded me a bit of an extended X Files episode!  I've read a few of his books but I've never felt the need to read lots of them, apart from maybe Misery -  I enjoyed the film.

I just started reading Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London). Looking forward to it. Thanks to Raven for my finding Ben Aaronovitch and the River of London series. I am also happy that our library has all of the book in the series and I can download the books at will to my kindle.

I am quietly and slowly reading a chapter or two every day of Anthony Burgess' Earthly Powers.

A need for something a little lighter is growing in me, so I may do something I haven't done in years, and have more than one fiction book on the go. I just have to decide which one. Switching between a reference book and a novel I do quite regularly, and in fact have just started reading a city guide for Chester.

More than one novel can take a little contemplating. 

On 5/25/2022 at 1:24 AM, Chrissy said:

I am quietly and slowly reading a chapter or two every day of Anthony Burgess' Earthly Powers.

A need for something a little lighter is growing in me, so I may do something I haven't done in years, and have more than one fiction book on the go. I just have to decide which one. Switching between a reference book and a novel I do quite regularly, and in fact have just started reading a city guide for Chester.

More than one novel can take a little contemplating. 

Just a wee suggestion, Chrissy. Have you read the Flavia de Luce books by Alan Bradley? I think you would love them :flowers2: