The Scarlet Pimpernel

KEV67

By Baroness Orczy. Published in 1905 but set in 1792, so it is historical fiction. I am only three chapters in, but it is quite good so far. The way it reads makes me think of a 1940's British film. I understand a pimpernel is a type of wild flower.

I think I have already worked out the identity of The Scarlet Pimpernel. If I am wrong I will run naked up High Street. Comtess La Just might be the cleverest woman in Europe, but I would be too many for her.

I wonder if this should be in the chick-lit section. It has a very strong female POV. I am glad to say I was right about my guess as to the identity of the Scarlet Pimpernel. I would not really have run naked up High Street, but I don't like to be thought a liar.

One interesting thing is Baroness Orczy's depiction of Jews is similar to Charles Dickens' in Oliver Twist. They have red hair. They are money grasping. There is over sixty years' difference in the date those books were written. Stereotypically I do not imagine Jews having red hair, so that has changed.

Edit: Ashkenazi Jews are often red haired, although not as often as in some other populations.

Edited by KEV67