Writers writing about characters not like them

KEV67

I am reading Clarissa by Samuel Richardson, approximately 1748. Samuel Richardson was in late middle age, and a man, when he wrote that book. The protagonist was a teenage girl. I think he pulled it off. I cannot say because I am not a teenage girl. Notwithstanding Clarissa is not a typical teenage girl. She spends half her waking hours writing letters for a start. She is very high minded, and resolute. She could probably govern a small country if required. So there is Samuel Johnson. When I read War and Peace, I was impressed by the character of Natasha Rostova, another teenage girl. Leo Tolstoy had never been a teenage girl, but Natasha seemed real enough to me. So, who else gets away with it? From the female side, I thought Anne Brontë portrayed men very well in The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

Thomas Hardy was quite good about getting the female perspective eg Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Far from the Madding Crowd - both unconventional heroines for the time when the books were written.