Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

My copy was 1006 pages long for anybody who needs to know, and it was absolutely epic!

From Amazon : 

The year is 1806. Centuries have passed since practical magicians faded into the nation’s past. But scholars of this glorious history discover that one remains: the reclusive Mr Norrell, whose displays of magic send a thrill through the country. Proceeding to London, he raises a beautiful woman from the dead and summons an army of ghostly ships to terrify the French. Yet the cautious, fussy Norrell is challenged by the emergence of another magician: the brilliant novice Jonathan Strange. Young, handsome and daring, Strange is the very antithesis of Norrell. So begins a dangerous battle between these two great men which overwhelms that between England and France. And their own obsessions and secret dabblings with the dark arts are going to cause more trouble than they can imagine.

I was absolutely captivated by this. Could not get enough. I'm glad that it was 1006 pages long because I wanted more every time I picked it up. The prose is good, the characters believable, the plot is amazing and it kept me guessing until the very end. I was aware of it when it came out and steadfastly refused to read it simply because it was popular. That's the second time I've made that mistake, I won't make it again. 

This is Susanna Clarke's first book. I read her second, Piranesi, first and was captivated by that so had no problem delving into this. Loved it.

Highly recommended.

I felt exactly the same way about this book. Such a long book but I wanted it to be twice the length! 
Have you seen her short story collection ‘The Ladies of Grace Adieu’? All based in the same world as Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and also excellent!