The Weirdest Book You Ever Read

Hayley

What is the weirdest book you ever read? One that made you think ‘what on Earth did I just read?’.

And what made it weird? Was it a weird unexpected twist? Or was it strange from the very beginning? 

I’ve been thinking about this a lot for the past couple of days, since describing Piranesi by Susanna Clarke as ‘weird’ - it’s definitely not the weirdest I’ve read though. I think that award would have to go to The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. It was absolutely right from the opening too. After all, can it get much weirder than: 

‘One morning, when Gregor Samsa woke from troubled dreams, he found himself transformed in his bed into a horrible vermin.’ !? 

Riddley Walker. Set two thousand years in the future. Written in gibberish pidgin English.

Not an easy read. 

Alternatively, One, No One and One Hundred Thousand is about a man who becomes obsessed with who he is to the point of breakdown. Very good.

I found The Last Man, Mary Shelley weird because my copy didn't have any page numbers in it. It's a great book and nearly cured me of my ‘minimum pages a day’ page counting habit. The story was weird (at the time of reading) as well : This visionary, apocalyptic novel tells the story of a 21st century world ravaged by a virulent pandemic that kills nearly all of mankind and the lone survivor of the plague -- literally, The Last Man. Written in 1826.