The Undiscovered Deaths of Grace McGill

Grace McGill is an After-Death Cleaner. If someone has died of natural causes but are left undiscovered for a period of time, Grace is the person who cleans up their premises of possible bio-hazardous materials - bodily fluids, blood etc

Grace however, manages to get herself involved in an unsolved disappearance that took place 55 years ago and the book details her experiences as she tries to piece together what happened.

I read this book over two evenings so desperate was I to find out what happended next. I never really thought about what happens when someone dies alone in their accomodations and the police have removed the body and the funeral has taken place so this gave me something to think about. It's a totally original concept  - as far as I know - and the plot is excellent, the characters believable and I did not guess what was going to happen next.

I bought this because it's set in Glasgow and I'm glad that I was not disappointed.

Recommended

Oooh this one sounds intriguing, I might try it!

Have you read His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnett? Not quite the same as this but it is also about piecing together clues to a murder and set in Scotland (I think the author has associations with Glasgow but I'm not sure if he's from there). It's quite intense and strange but I thought it was very good!

7 hours ago, Hayley said:

Have you read His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnett? Not quite the same as this but it is also about piecing together clues to a murder and set in Scotland (I think the author has associations with Glasgow but I'm not sure if he's from there). It's quite intense and strange but I thought it was very good!

I have and I have read all of his books so far. He was born in Kilmarnock (small town near Glasgow) and lives in Glasgow. His books are very good. 

7 hours ago, Hayley said:

Oooh this one sounds intriguing, I might try it!

It is very good. Not at all technical, the prose is very good and, and as far as I know, totally original. 

On 22/03/2022 at 7:29 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

I have and I have read all of his books so far. He was born in Kilmarnock (small town near Glasgow) and lives in Glasgow. His books are very good. 

(I’ve just remembered we may have spoken about him briefly before!?) I haven’t read any of his other books (it was actually the Victorian setting of Bloody Project that attracted me!) but I’d definitely try them. 

On 22/03/2022 at 7:29 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

It is very good. Not at all technical, the prose is very good and, and as far as I know, totally original. 

Adding to my list :) 

13 hours ago, Hayley said:

(I’ve just remembered we may have spoken about him briefly before!?) I haven’t read any of his other books (it was actually the Victorian setting of Bloody Project that attracted me!) but I’d definitely try them. 

I don't recall that but he is worth a read. His Bloody Project is the best of them, however.

13 hours ago, Hayley said:

Adding to my list :) 

Well worth it