Muggle Not's Reading - 2022

muggle not

I am really off to a slow reading start in 2022. I have been binge watching too much TV. I watched all 7 seasons of Longmire and all 3 seasons of Yellowstone in 2022 plus some other stuff. :) I watch TV like I read books. If I find an author that I like I usually devour his/her works.

1.       As I Lay Dying – William Faulkner - 5/5

2.       Sooley – John Grisham – 4/5

3.       Pachinko – Min Jin Lee – 4.5/5 – I was surprised at how much I didn’t know of that era and the relationship between Japan and Korea. Great epic read.

4.      The Short Ghost Stories of Charles Dickens – Charles Dickens – Didn’t finish the book. Stooped reading after about 20%.Just couldn’t get into it.

5.      Later – Stephen King – 4/5

6.      The Big Sleep (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler – 4/5 – I really enjoy the Phil Marlowe Series books.  For me, it is easy to identify the era that the books were written. Raymond Chandler’s use of words is interesting.

7.      Farewell, My Lovely (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler

8.      The High Window (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler - CURRENTLY READING

22 hours ago, poppy said:

That's a lot better than me, Muggles, I'm only onto my third book.

I've been binge watching Foyle's War when I get a chance (like you I'll watch a series back to back if I really like it).

What Network is Foyle's War on. I started watching "Theodosia" tonight on HBO Max. It reminds me of Flavia de Luce. ;)

5 hours ago, muggle not said:

What Network is Foyle's War on. I started watching "Theodosia" tonight on HBO Max. It reminds me of Flavia de Luce. ;)

I think it was originally on Netflix but I've found it on YouTube and I'm casting it to the TV. It has Greek subtitles underneath which is a little annoying but it's SUCH a good series, I think you'd like it Muggles.

I'll definitely look out for Theodosia if it's anything like Flavia!:wub: (it's time Alan Bradley wrote another one!)

7 hours ago, poppy said:

I think it was originally on Netflix but I've found it on YouTube and I'm casting it to the TV. It has Greek subtitles underneath which is a little annoying but it's SUCH a good series, I think you'd like it Muggles.

I'll definitely look out for Theodosia if it's anything like Flavia!:wub: (it's time Alan Bradley wrote another one!)

Theodosia is, more or less, a  new (2022) YA type TV Series. I have watched 2 episodes (30 min ea.) and am enjoying it.

Theodosia (TV Series 2022– ) - IMDb

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2022 at 2:50 PM, muggle not said:

I am really off to a slow reading start in 2022.

You’ve read more than me! 

As I Lay Dying – William Faulkner - 5/5

I really want to re-read this. I had to read it really quickly to study it years ago and I definitely don’t feel like I got to appreciate it. Although I will always remember the student who was really confused half way through because they thought it was about horses (we had the vintage classics edition with a horse on the cover :lol:). 

The Short Ghost Stories of Charles Dickens – Charles Dickens – Didn’t finish the book. Stooped reading after about 20%.Just couldn’t get into it.

Which of the stories did you read? 

On 3/25/2022 at 5:26 PM, Hayley said:

You’ve read more than me! 

:)

I really want to re-read this. I had to read it really quickly to study it years ago and I definitely don’t feel like I got to appreciate it. Although I will always remember the student who was really confused half way through because they thought it was about horses (we had the vintage classics edition with a horse on the cover :lol:). 

I really enjoy Faulkner's writing. It would be worth a re-read I believe. I need to read more of his works. 

Which of the stories did you read?  

It was the first 2 0r 3 in the book, don't really remember now what they were. I can't believe that I didn't enjoy them as Dickens is one of my favorite Authors.

Edited by muggle not

1.       As I Lay Dying – William Faulkner - 5/5

2.       Sooley – John Grisham – 4/5

3.       Pachinko – Min Jin Lee – 4.5/5 – I was surprised at how much I didn’t know of that era and the relationship between Japan and Korea. Great epic read.

4.      The Short Ghost Stories of Charles Dickens – Charles Dickens – Didn’t finish the book. Stooped reading after about 20%.Just couldn’t get into it.

5.      Later – Stephen King – 4/5

6.      The Big Sleep (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler – 4/5 – I really enjoy the Phil Marlowe Series books.  For me, it is easy to identify the era that the books were written. Raymond Chandler’s use of words is interesting.

7.      Farewell, My Lovely (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler 4/5

8.      The High Window (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler - 4/5

9       Lady In the lake (Phil Marlowe Series) - Raymond Chandler - 4/5

10.    Judge's List - John Grisham - 4/5 - good read about a Judge who was a serial killer.

On 3/29/2022 at 7:24 PM, muggle not said:

1.       As I Lay Dying – William Faulkner - 5/5

2.       Sooley – John Grisham – 4/5

3.       Pachinko – Min Jin Lee – 4.5/5 – I was surprised at how much I didn’t know of that era and the relationship between Japan and Korea. Great epic read.

4.      The Short Ghost Stories of Charles Dickens – Charles Dickens – Didn’t finish the book. Stooped reading after about 20%.Just couldn’t get into it.

5.      Later – Stephen King – 4/5

6.      The Big Sleep (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler – 4/5 – I really enjoy the Phil Marlowe Series books.  For me, it is easy to identify the era that the books were written. Raymond Chandler’s use of words is interesting.

7.      Farewell, My Lovely (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler 4/5

8.      The High Window (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler - 4/5

9       Lady In the lake (Phil Marlowe Series) - Raymond Chandler - 4/5

10.    Judge's List - John Grisham - 4/5 - good read about a Judge who was a serial killer.

11. Mercy (book 4 of 4 of the Atlee Pine series) - David Baldacci - 4/5 -

from Amazon: For her entire life, FBI agent Atlee Pine has been searching for her twin sister, Mercy, who was abducted at the age of six and never seen again. Mercy’s disappearance left behind a damaged family that later shattered beyond repair when Atlee’s parents inexplicably abandoned her.

I really liked the conclusion of what has been a very good series by Baldacci. It is too bad that we don't have people like Atlee Pine in real life. :)

Edited by muggle not

• 4 weeks later...

12. The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner - 5/5 - Not much I can say. The book is superb but definitely not a read for everyone. The first 50% of the book is an extremely difficult read but for some it becomes very rewarding by the end. I will need to re-read it at some point to better understand the book. The prose is outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

13. Midnight Riot (Book 1 of Rivers of London series) - Ben Aaronovitch - 4/5 - Good read. I very much enjoyed the book, especially Beverly Brook. She is an interesting character. I hope there is more of her in future books. 

muggle not, I do enjoy Raymond Chandler. I find it easy to settle into his books, and his descriptive turn of phrase is truly wonderful at times.

You enjoyed the first Rivers of London novel? I'm so glad. I have really enjoyed them. I will be interested to 'hear' your thoughts on them as you read on. 

On 5/10/2022 at 5:58 AM, Madeleine said:

Don't worry, Beverly is a regular character!

Thanks, I do enjoy the Beverly Brook character. She adds a lot to the story.

6 hours ago, Chrissy said:

muggle not, I do enjoy Raymond Chandler. I find it easy to settle into his books, and his descriptive turn of phrase is truly wonderful at times.

You enjoyed the first Rivers of London novel? I'm so glad. I have really enjoyed them. I will be interested to 'hear' your thoughts on them as you read on. 

You hit the nail on the head. Raymond Chandler's books are easy to settle into. The more of his works I read the more I enjoy them. I love his phrasing from the 40's. The current book "Sisters" is really good so far.

14. The Little Sister (Phil Marlowe series) - Randolph Chandler - 4.5/5 - I really enjoyed this book. Good story line and the phrasing was, as usual. very good. The ending was a little surprising but probably shouldn't have been if I paid a little more attention. :)  I am happy to have more books to read in this series. 

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Glad you liked it, Muggle, I think this is one of the best in the series.

I have only read 2 of the books in the series but Moon Over Soho was very good.

• 2 weeks later...

16. The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories - Ernest Hemingway - 4.5/5 - Enjoyed some short stories for a change and the writing was excellent. Especially liked the Title story Snows and also the story of the Boxer and the Story of the Big Game Hunter, really good reading.

Edited by muggle not

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, muggle not said:

17. Whispers Under Ground (Rivers of London) - Ben Aaronovitch - 4/5 - Possibly the best of the series so far. Good writing, good story.

I remember liking this one too. I just finished the most recent one and it was brilliant!

• 3 weeks later...

18. Playback - Raymond Chandler - 4/5 - Good read and the last of his Philip Marlowe series. I do wish that he had written more books in his time. I really liked his style of writing. Amazon includes The Long Goodbye by Randolph Chandler as one of the 100 books that you should read in your lifetime.

Edited by muggle not

I really loved Whispers Underground. Aaronovitch takes the fantastical and seems to render it ordinary, so within a few pages you are perceiving these extraordinary things as just another aspect of the story being told. 

On 26/07/2022 at 1:32 AM, muggle not said:

Playback - Randolph Chandler

Should this be Raymond? :) (I can change it if you want). I read Raymond Chandler as part of my university course and I think it kind of ruined the experience for me. I was trying to read it too quickly alongside other things and I get it mixed up in my mind with Chester Himes. I feel like I should go back to it though because I love a good mystery! I don't think the Philip Marlowe series needs to be read in order, does it?

On 26/07/2022 at 3:09 PM, Chrissy said:

I really loved Whispers Underground. Aaronovitch takes the fantastical and seems to render it ordinary, so within a few pages you are perceiving these extraordinary things as just another aspect of the story being told. 

Absolutely agree. I don't think that's as successful in every novel, but it was particularly well done in Whispers Underground!

Two great ones from the PI's PI, Phillip Marlowe;

Neither of the two people in the room paid any attention to the way I came in, although only one of them was dead. (The Big Sleep)

The girl gave him a look which ought to have stuck at least four inches out of his back. (The Long Goodbye)

The second one makes me chuckle whenever I read it. I know girls like that, and the looks they throw! :lol:

Edited by Chrissy