Hello...

Kudz

Hi, my name is Karen and I actually used to be a member here way back in the day.

On checking my old account, I first registered on the board back in 2007, and was also involved in the BCF Reviews blog too when it was a thing back then.

I've been AWOL for a fair old while now due to a number of reasons; the number one reason being that life just got in the way. However, more recently I've been yearning for the camaraderie and community spirit that I remember fondly from my time here previously and I miss not being part of something special. Reading has always been my main way of escaping from reality, and as I've gotten older it has become even more important to me, and I have really missed not having like minded people to share that with.

I recently registered on Twitter as 'Book Twitter' seems to be a thing now but after a month I found I just didn't really get it, and have since deleted my account (as in today actually). Social media has never been my thing and I was really struggling to connect with anyone on there. Jumping into random conversations with strangers just seems rude...like I said I just don't get it. I think it's just a bit too big, and without spending hours and hours on there I really dont see how you can have discussions, or even make friends. Not to mention I felt really, really old compared to everyone else in the book Twitter community.

Anyway I thought I would give BCF another shot, and although I'm sure there have been many changes since I was last here, I'm looking forward to getting stuck in and maybe (hopefully) making some new friends along the way.

On a side note I would really love to be involved in a book club and was wondering if it would be possible to have one on here? I know we had reading circles and book clubs previously but on having a brief look around it doesn't look as if it has been a thing for a while now. Anyway, just a thought.

Looking forward to meeting you all, and feel free to ask me any questions as I realise my intro hasn't really told you very much!

- Karen

Edited by Kudz
Fixed a spelling error!

Hello, I've been here just over a year so relatively new and don't know you from previously but welcome back!

I'm a refugee (and moderator) from Book Group Online which is still teetering on close down and was very much welcomed here in the event it does close down. Some members here, like me, are also members of BGO. Apparently this forum was going to close and that's why we exchanged members. But we are all still here, and there, so we just carry on.

I'm not particularly well versed in social media either, being older when it was invented, and don't have a Twitter account but I am on Facebook and a member of lots of groups there, mostly crochet groups which is my other hobby. 

I've been choosing my own reading material since I was four and don't actually remember a time when I couldn't read (my father bought me Twinkle magazine when I was three and Teddy Bear magazine when I had 'grown up' to four and I just copied my mum and turned the pages, thinking I was reading. I'm sure that there were more pictures than words in these magazines but that's how it started and it has continued that way ever since.) I'm now reading Existenialism and Stream of Consciousness in amongst the other reads and read more in lockdown than ever before. 

Coming here has opened my eyes to authors I've never heard of - a constant joy - so I'm reading up a storm and constantly looking for that elusive never-before-seen-by-me author/story.

Being new here, relatively, I haven't experienced a book club or a reading circle but have taken part in a group read, if that's the same thing, so feel free to start one and we can confer.

Hi Karen, welcome back! (was your old forum name Karen?? I'm not sure whether I remember you!). 

I also tried 'Book Twitter' and found there was a lot about it I didn't like. I totally agree that it often feels like you'd be rudely jumping in to other people's conversations! There seemed to be a lot of nastiness and gossip going on in some circles too, which really put me off. Much nicer to be here on the forum :lol:.

On 11/03/2022 at 8:07 PM, Kudz said:

On a side note I would really love to be involved in a book club and was wondering if it would be possible to have one on here? I know we had reading circles and book clubs previously but on having a brief look around it doesn't look as if it has been a thing for a while now. Anyway, just a thought.

I noticed before I came to post here that you mentioned this in the 'Updates and Improvements' thread, so I'll reply properly there, but I think the short answer is yes!

What books have you been enjoying recently? :) 

Hi Karen, and welcome back from me too :flowers2:

I joined in 2006 and I'm sorry, I don't remember a Kudz, but I do remember a Karen, so perhaps that was you?

Under Hayley's administration, this is a lovely, friendly group so hope you'll stay.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

On 12/03/2022 at 9:38 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

I'm a refugee (and moderator) from Book Group Online which is still teetering on close down and was very much welcomed here in the event it does close down. Some members here, like me, are also members of BGO. Apparently this forum was going to close and that's why we exchanged members. But we are all still here, and there, so we just carry on.

When the idea came to me to come back to BCF, I have to admit to being a little worried that it wouldn’t be a thing anymore; suffice to say I was extremely happy that it was still here, and I have been trying to catch up on the goings on by reading the threads relating to the takeover and transfer of the board to Hayley.  Does Michelle, the previous owner, still come by and post or has she left the board for good?

Sorry to hear about the problems Book Group Online have faced too.  I read in one of the other threads on here about the death of its previous owner/administrator; my condolences to those members on here who knew him.

17 hours ago, Hayley said:

Hi Karen, welcome back! (was your old forum name Karen?? I'm not sure whether I remember you!). 

Yes, my old username was Karen.  I hope it’s okay that I re-registered under a new name but I wanted a fresh start.

17 hours ago, Hayley said:

What books have you been enjoying recently? 

Although I usually have a book on the go, I haven’t read anything in nearly a fortnight as I tested positive for Covid back on the 2nd of March and have been really struggling with symptoms since.  I’m only just beginning to recover and get my motivation back.  These days I tend to read a lot of crime fiction; it’s my go-to genre, but I’m open to anything really.  I do dip in and out of general women’s fiction and thrillers too but tend to gravitate towards crime most of the time.  I would love to branch out and read other genres, but sometimes it’s a bit daunting so I tend to stick to the tried and tested authors I know I’ll like.

I started Eeny Meeny by (new-to-me author) M. J. Arlidge this morning and am about halfway through so I can now see me binging the rest of this series and any other books written by him.

13 hours ago, poppy said:

Under Hayley's administration, this is a lovely, friendly group so hope you'll stay.

Now I’m back I’m not planning on going anywhere.  I’m going to try and pop in every day, but I do work for the NHS and my working week can be a little crazy.  I’m also heading back to work tomorrow after being off with Covid for the past week and a half, so I’m not sure how I’m going to be after doing a full shift, so we shall see.  I will probably be around more at weekends, but as I said I’m going to try and visit every day.

On 13/03/2022 at 3:15 PM, Kudz said:

Does Michelle, the previous owner, still come by and post or has she left the board for good?

She still has her account but she doesn't actually use the forum at the moment. She is on twitter and (I think) Facebook though. 

Yes, my old username was Karen.  I hope it’s okay that I re-registered under a new name but I wanted a fresh start.

I do remember you then!! And of course it's okay :) 

I tested positive for Covid back on the 2nd of March and have been really struggling with symptoms since.

Oh no, I hope they go soon!

I started Eeny Meeny by (new-to-me author) M. J. Arlidge this morning and am about halfway through so I can now see me binging the rest of this series and any other books written by him.

Well that sounds good!! Always a good feeling when you find an author you know you're going to love everything by.

Now I’m back I’m not planning on going anywhere.  I’m going to try and pop in every day, but I do work for the NHS and my working week can be a little crazy.  I’m also heading back to work tomorrow after being off with Covid for the past week and a half, so I’m not sure how I’m going to be after doing a full shift, so we shall see.

Yay, it's great to have you back :). I hope your shift went okay!

On 14/03/2022 at 9:29 PM, Hayley said:

Oh no, I hope they go soon! I hope your shift went okay!

Thanks.  I did manage to get through both Monday and Tuesday but ended up leaving mid-morning today as I'm really struggling with fatigue and headaches.  We've agreed for me to take off the rest of the week and all being well will return on Monday.  I do hate being off sick; I’m more annoyed that my 100% attendance record over the past few years has finally come to an end.  I was quite proud (and maybe slightly smug) that I had avoided catching covid up till now but still, it was bound to catch up with me at some point.