Contact with Authors

Has anyone ever had direct contact with any authors - aside from book signings, events etc? I'm sure most best selling authors are far too busy to reply to the numerous emails, letters etc. that they receive, but perhaps some lesser known ones take time out to correspond?

Several years ago, I sent an email via her website to Suzette A. Hill, a British writer of cosy and amusing mysteries, I forget exactly why now, but I think it was a question about the future of her 'Bones' series and letting her know how much my mum had enjoyed her books. She took the time to send a lovely reply, personalised and detailed. She came across as a very nice lady and appreciative of her audience. 

Frankly it depends on the author, some are absolutely delightful, others are a bit up themselves! Some like JoJo Moyes have Facebook profiles with large amounts of friends and she does reply to comments.

Don't assume that just because an author hasn't replied to you that they are being grand, sometimes they simply won't have seen the message. It happened to me, I was contacted via my author page on Goodreads and I never received a notfication and didn't realise for two years that I'd been asked a question!

I've contacted a few authors in the past, either through their website or their facebook page, most are brilliant and are really happy to chat, only one didn't reply, so go for it if you want to contact an author.

I once emailed Stephen Booth, who writes the Fry and Cooper crime series, set in Derbyshire. As I live in Derbyshire, I had spotted two quite glaring errors in his descriptions of places (although his town in the books is fictional!) and he replied the same day. A nice chaty mail, where he admitted that he was not familiar with the place(s) I had pointed out, and had simply 'winged it'!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an Indie author. I sell more in the US than I do in the UK. A few years ago I received notification that one of my books had become the 'Winner in Bards and Sages eFestival of Words Best of the Independent eBook Awards - Best Historical Fiction 2018 ' A US award.

This surprised me as I hadn't entered any of my books into any competitons at all. I had no idea who had put my book forward until someone emailed me and said he had entered my book because his mother liked it so much. He also asked me if I would sign and send the paperbacks of the whole series to his mother and he would pay for them. I was so delighted at his thoughtfulness that I sent them to him at cost price.

What I am saying, in a round about fashion, is that Independent authors are more likely to respond because their sales are likely to be fewer and they are so much more grateful to their much needed readers. Most independent authors will be getting writing related emails - as many as a hundred a day but a faithful, delighted reader is like discovering a diamond.