Open University

Suzanne

Good morning

(Typed this the other day, tried to post it , don't know what I did wrong, don't think I pressed the correct buttons and it never made it here, so fingers and toes etc all crossed and hopefully I'll press the correct button and you'll be able to read and hopefully talk to me about this subject. LOL Think I'll need to brush up my pc skills an awful lot if I am going to do an OU course!!!!)

So

As title says Open University

1) Anyone doing Open University on here?

2) Anyone done OU on here?

3) Anyone thinking of doing OU on here?

4) Anyone just want to talk about OU in general or there free sister site OPEN LEARN

I have done OU many moons ago, so far back over 16 years so they now don't count , but that's fine, just doing for me.

I did level 1 in Arts and Humamaties 60 points and level 1 in Social Sciences part 1 and part 2 so another 60 points, for those who don't know OU you need to get 360 points over level 1,2 and 3.

I have done quite a few free courses on Open Learn and have found a level 2 OU course A225  all about the history that I am intrested in, starts in October so am thinking about applying for the course as I feel ready to sit an exam course,until now I haven't thought my mind could contain info to sit an exam. Cost is quite high, know I can find time to study.

Anyone want to talk OU or Open Learn?

Hope so.

I did look at some OU courses a few years back, but never really got very far with it (I was looking at astronomy at the time, and there didn't appear to be enough modules to make up a full degree).

Not OU, but I was recently looking into doing an online MA through The University of York, but before I started the application process (for this September) the course was pulled.

I've done a few modules through the OU because at one point I fancied doing a degree. I would still study the odd module for personal interest but the price per module is very high considering it wouldn't be for any real purpose.

I completed an OU BSc in Technology. I studied a module in Digital and Analogue Electronics. I found it so time-consuming and boring I stopped studying after the first year. A few years later everyone seemed to be talking about the internet, so I took another module called Digital Communications. Then I studied Relational Databases, because we used them at work, and I think Logic Design to brush up on my electronics. By then I was over half way there. I could have traded in my HND for some points towards my degree, but the OU started to bring out named degrees. Previously I think they had only offered BA Open and BSc Open. I wanted a BSc Technology so I had to do a couple of specific modules. Then I realised I only needed one more level 2 pass to get a 1st, so I did another two modules.

Open University study was quite cheap back then. It was before they introduced student fees in universities. One problem was you did not get much practical experience. They used to you send home experiment kits, but it is not the same as working in a lab with plenty of equipment and bench space. Another problem was that courses went from February to September, so you had to work while the sun was shining outside. Another problem was that you were mostly working alone. It was not a real university experience. Occasionally you met up at seminars with your tutor and other students on your course. There used to have week long summer courses at universities. I only went to one at UMIST in Manchester, before they became optional. When I finished my last exam, I wanted to go to the pub and celebrate, but I did not know anybody, and everyone else drove back to home or work.

Personally I thought some of the courses were quite good, and others were pretty simple. I was a computer programmer, and I took a computing course, but it was so simple I wished I had studied something else, but I was running out of technology modules to study. Probably should have done the optics module instead.

• 5 months later...
On 3/10/2022 at 11:14 PM, Hayley said:

I haven't taken an OU course myself but I looked at that history course out of curiosity Suzanne and I am super interested in the long nineteenth century, so I'd be very happy to talk about that with you :D.

What is the long 19th Century?

1 hour ago, KEV67 said:

What is the long 19th Century?

Basically all of the the nineteenth century plus a few more years either side - about the last decade of the 1700s and pre-1914. It’s just sometimes considered more useful to include that bit of extra time to understand the whole of the nineteenth century and how things are changing between the centuries.