A Very Nervous Hello

Suzanne

Hello,

Just joined about a week ago as I was looking for a title of a couple of books I had read at primary school, people found one of the books really quickly for me, think I shall ask for a copy for Mother's Day.

Took a lot of  courage to post as I have had my fingers burned in a forum many years ago when trying to stick up for someone who was being bullied in the forum, she didn't keep it to herself that I was trying to help her and I got accused nastly of being the mole as there was a big mole on there at the same time, and it wasn't me, so haven' been in a forum since then, what brought me here was I had no other way of finding the books and really wanted to know for my memory journal that I am writing, so typed in book forums and this is the first one that came up..... so I was mega brave, not sure how much I will post as still feel a bit.......... about forums, but have been told you are all nice and friendly, and what I see so far you are really are so thank you.

I'm 58, although very chatty person, I find it hard to make friends and am a bit of a loner along side hubby who is 52. 

Four children girl 33 boy 24 and a set of girl/boy twins 22. Boy twin lives at home, his sister last year at uni,, other two live away from town.

Love reading, its not a hobby but a human right to me, have read about 13 books this year already, always aim for 52 books a year. like baking with hubby, watching tv but not soaps, keeping fit on treadmill and other exercise at home, keep a mega journal and useless at art and craft  but have just discovered junk journaling on Utube on Kayley Anne channel. Like learning o have been doing free courses off the OU sister site Open Learn, social history stuff and nature, english and maths. Thinking of doing a level 2 OU course in History but not sure as it is costly. Work very part time and go to church on most sundays, not happy with the way the vicar does things (they have driven people away from church) but I get a lot out of being in the building, have only been back at church since 2016, was a non believer for many years. Don't drive so can't go anywhere else to worship.

Pc skills are really rubbish can just do the bits I need to do but could live without it all,, would love to be a hermit

Have posted in finding books and Reading Challenges.

If you feel you can be my friend(s) and just chat about nothing in general as I am very good at tat I am going to start a thread in general chat section titled Suzanne here, perhaps someone on here would like to chat to me.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm done it, been building up to this for a few days, keep changing my mind of whether to post this or not, so pushing the boat out...... please be kind to me, but I know you will.

I have waffled enough, going to be mega nervous now as I press the submit button.

Have a good day today, everyone who has reached the end of this!!!!! 

Hope this makes some sort of sense, haven't read it back as I'm scared I will just hit delete

Well hello and welcome to the forum. And thank you for a really good introduction. 

We are a very friendly bunch here and we will be kind to you. We love to chat on just about anything and we all get long very well. 

I've had the same experience on a different board but the person who stuck up for me has become my online friend for life. I left that board and years later went back to see if anything had changed and found that nobody had posted in years. It's not like that here.

So well done for being brave and posting, I'm  looking forward to seeing more of your posts

Hi Suzanne and welcome, I know how you feel, I was really nervous when I first started going on these forums but apart from one slightly unsavoury experience on a now long closed other forum I haven't thankfully encountered any real issues, anyone on here who is problematic is soon sent away!  So I think you're in safe hands here.

Do you have any favourite authors?

Hi there,

Thanks so much for replying,

I don't think so, I read my first Martina Cole book last year so have been seeking her books out.

I like many different authors and tend to choose books from reading the back of books, like Lesley Pearce, Barabra Taylor Bradford but only read the first in the series as I find the rest of the series wishy washy. A Woman of Substance was the first ever one I read and to me is the best. The first Lesley Preace book I read was Remember Me and nothing has been as good as that, it was very powerful and it related with modern times as well even thought it was set in the very very past, think I read the best one first.

Good morning, 

That's sucks.

I brought a new ladies bike before Christmas, the bike I had 23 years fell apart last year, I was just riding another bike from our shed as only needed a bike to go to work and shops with. The bike from the shed is a hybrid , tha'ts all I needed with a basket and a ticker to count my miles ...... can cycle 10 miles in an hour, go out early before work to cycle round town and when going to shops I go the long way to put some miles in. Anyway brought some nice skirts and dresses to wear last summer and realised I am unable to cock my leg over the bar wearing them and as I bike my bike everyday I'm not going to be able to wear them so just before Christmas I brought a ladies step through bike with a basket and lights from Halfords for just over £300 pounds. It's quite a nice bike.

I had a couple of glasses of wine last night...... its a shame how things can come across on forums, but pleased you found this forum. I joined very nervously.

What you reading? I've nearly finished Answered Prayers by Danielle Steel, its has a pretty good plot Not quite sure what I'm going to read next. Will finish it hopefully tomorrow, will choose a thin book I can finish before Thursday as I am off to Scotland next Friday until Monday so need a good thick book to take with me.

Enjoy your weekend.

Welcome Suzanne 🙂 don't worry this is a very friendly forum. It's like a nice uncontroversial safe space on the internet, and unlike many forums which can often be argumentative and unpleasant.

I hope you enjoy it here 😊

I have only been on here a short time, but find the gang here to be friendly and very tolerant toward newcomers! Just relax, you will enjoy your time on here. I too was 'blasted' on a TV and Movie forum, where I had the temerity to suggest that a certain actor was not as good as their fans always seemed to think. So I just take any criticism as a difference of opinion, which is what forums are all about, surely?

Edited by timebug

Oh yes I agree with you, but on the forum I was on it was all women  (not mumset or netmums). Not that there is anything wrong with all female forums

They had got the knife out for a member and really being awful to her behind her back as there was another forum that everyone else used as well, there was also a mole on the first forum which was not me, anyway I stood up for her, asked her not to say it was me as she came across really nice on both forums and I wanted her to know before she shared anymore private stuff (I know we are all just names and will never know who people really are etc). Anyway she told, and then I made the scapegoat for the mole and eveyrone turned on me...... I was only tying to help a fellow poster who I thought I got on with and trusted not to tell, but she went on, told everyone she  knew what was going on and then said I told them!!!!

I  won't go on because its boring,  but yes I agree forums are for everyone to express a different opinion..... just being nosy which actor was it???? LOL.... you don't have to answer if you don't want to

I won't name the actor as I have no desire to get into all that again! But I will point out that it was a female actor ('actress' in my day and before the PC police) and I suspect that the main reason for the reaction to my post,was an age and preference issue! I am elderly and the 'actor' concerned is relatively young, and has appeared in things since she was a teenager. The chap who disliked my post,was probably a young man,who thought that the actor was beautiful (as does my son's best pal!) where to me, she is just an average looking girl/woman with very little acting ability! (I.M.O.!!!!) But as I said earlier,

the whole point of a forum is to get differing views,surely? If you write that actor X is a great actor, and I am unfamiliar with their work, I will probably go and check some of it out. I may end up disagreeing with you (and your opinion) but as ever, I respect your right to think and believe what you will!