Your Book Activity - March 2022

willoyd

21 hours ago, muggle not said:

Did you enjoy Piranesi?

Yes, loved it! Spent quite a while at the beginning feeling very confused and then reached a point where I literally didn’t want to put it down!

21 hours ago, muggle not said:

I really enjoyed As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. :)

I definitely feel like I should reread it. Im sure I still have a copy of it but I’m not sure where!

11 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I loved it, very interesting indeed and so well written.  I'll be on the lookout for his other writings.

Another one of his short stories, A Sound of Thunder, is also available to read online :). It’s very different to The Veldt but just as well written! 

11 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Piransi was amazing, I thought and diffcult to follow.

Yes, my brain was basically in a cycle of ‘what!? … oh! … what, what!?’ :lol: (I think it would have made a really good group read actually!)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had the most hellish week at work this week – as much as I love working for the NHS, the past two years are really taking its toll on everyone – and I haven’t gotten any reading done at all. Although I am feeling better physically, I am still completely exhausted, both physically and mentally so I’ve been taking it easy during the evenings. Hoping to get back on track this coming week though and although I have a few chores that I need to get done today, I’m planning on spending the rest of the weekend relaxing with my book and hopefully this coming week will be a little bit easier on the work front.

Although I haven’t read anything, I did buy a book, oops! I was having such a crappy day on Tuesday I popped into Waterstones in my lunch break and decided to treat myself. There were a fair few that I was interested in, but in the end went for The Distant Echo by Val McDermid, which I believe is the first in the Karen Pirie series. I haven’t read anything by this author before but have heard good things so thought I would give her a try. In hindsight I probably would have been better picking one of her standalone books though, because if I enjoy this one, I’m no doubt going to have to teat myself to the rest of the series, which is not going to help me get my TBR down anytime soon!

Edited by Kudz

On 31/03/2022 at 9:50 PM, Hayley said:

Yes, loved it! Spent quite a while at the beginning feeling very confused and then reached a point where I literally didn’t want to put it down!

I'm glad you liked Piranesi. I've never read anything quite like it before and after a few pages I thought I may struggle with it but like you, I just couldn't put it down after a while. It was mysterious and confusing enough to be really interesting without getting completely out of hand.

20 hours ago, Kudz said:

Although I haven’t read anything, I did buy a book, oops! I was having such a crappy day on Tuesday I popped into Waterstones in my lunch break and decided to treat myself. There were a fair few that I was interested in, but in the end went for The Distant Echo by Val McDermid, which I believe is the first in the Karen Pirie series. I haven’t read anything by this author before but have heard good things so thought I would give her a try. In hindsight I probably would have been better picking one of her standalone books though, because if I enjoy this one, I’m no doubt going to have to teat myself to the rest of the series, which is not going to help me get my TBR down anytime soon!

This is where I started with Val McDermid as well and I have really liked the series so far.

Finished Chocolate House Treason by David Fairer: a story of political intrigue and murder set in London in the first decade of the eighteenth century, during the time of Queen Anne (a period of history often overlooked), and centred on the Bay Tree Chocolate House in Covent Garden (it starts the book as The Good Fellowship coffee house!). It is a very chunky book - getting on for 700 pages - and the nicely intricate plot jogs rather than gallops along, but I loved it for the intricacy of the world recreated and the deep sense of place and history that suffused every sentence. Actually, I loved it partly because it jogged rather than galloped - it matched the time and place so much better. There's still plenty going on though, and I never felt any sense of ennui. I'm definitely up for his next, equally spacious volume, The Dark CathedraI, set more in the theatre apparently.  5 out of 6 stars.

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Just bought :  Dark Waters, number 3 in the Small Spaces Quartet by Katherine Arden 

There is also a book 4 to the Small Spaces series and it will be released in August. Its title is Empty Smiles.

Edited by muggle not

I am reading The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. This is a difficult book to read and takes some discipline to stay with it but I understand that reward will be mine if I continue and try to understand the writing. 

47 minutes ago, muggle not said:

I am reading The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. This is a difficult book to read and takes some discipline to stay with it but I understand that reward will be mine if I continue and try to understand the writing. 

Reward will definitely be yours, it's marvellous! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Athena unpinned this topic