Your Book Activity - March 2022

willoyd

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 19/03/2022 at 10:20 AM, Kudz said:

Since my last update I have now finished Pop Goes the Reader, have read The Doll’s House and am currently about 180 pages into book 4, Liar Liar.  I’m not enjoying this one quite as much as the previous three in the series, but it is still good.  I am thinking of taking a break from the series after this though to read something else; not sure what and I probably won’t need to decide until tomorrow, but I think it’s time for something a little more light-hearted.

Although the first half of Liar Liar was a bit slow starting, the latter half improved considerably and the way in which it ended along with the synopsis of the next book in the series helped me make the decision to continue with it. I have now started Little Boy Blue and boy is it off to a good start.

I have really managed to get my reading mojo back this past week and have read 1,720 pages in the last 7 days, course I have done very little else but the silver lining of having had covid, which then led into a chest infection, is that it has allowed me some quality reading time.  I have no energy so can’t physically do much else, but still, I’m not complaining.  Not sure what I’m going to do once I get to the end of this series though, the threat of a reading slump is something I really hope doesn’t happen as I have only just managed to pull myself out of this one.

1 hour ago, Kudz said:

Although the first half of Liar Liar was a bit slow starting, the latter half improved considerably and the way in which it ended along with the synopsis of the next book in the series helped me make the decision to continue with it. I have now started Little Boy Blue and boy is it off to a good start.

I have really managed to get my reading mojo back this past week and have read 1,720 pages in the last 7 days, course I have done very little else but the silver lining of having had covid, which then led into a chest infection, is that it has allowed me some quality reading time.  I have no energy so can’t physically do much else, but still, I’m not complaining.  Not sure what I’m going to do once I get to the end of this series though, the threat of a reading slump is something I really hope doesn’t happen as I have only just managed to pull myself out of this one.

If I may suggest, and I know that you're not feeling very well just now, what helps me is knowing what I'm going to read when I finish the one I'm on. So that you have something else to read, pick what you fancy before you finish. You can always change your mind.

I read a book! The latest Time Police book by Jodi Taylor, Saving Time. Full of humour, action and the continuation of an intriguing story arc. 

There has been no more reading since then, but that's through lack of proper opportunity rather than inclination. 

49 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

I read a book! The latest Time Police book by Jodi Taylor, Saving Time. Full of humour, action and the continuation of an intriguing story arc. 

There has been no more reading since then, but that's through lack of proper opportunity rather than inclination. 

I thoroughly enjoyed that one too. Funnily enough I don't like the St Mary's books much, they are just too ridiculous, but the Time Police ones are huge fun. Brilliant on audio too.

On 3/24/2022 at 2:15 AM, Chrissy said:

YAY!! :clapping::yahoo:

Good old Jodi, just about guaranteed to dig anyone out of the deepest rut.  Fingers crossed for more opportunities :flowers2:

71% read of Ben Aaronovitch’s The October Man (Rivers of London #7.5) and hopefully finish soon. Finished The Sad Ghost Club: Volume 1 by Lize Meddings, which I really enjoyed.

In the doldrums with Hope for the Best (The Chronicles of St Mary's #10) by Jodi Taylor in Audible. Just can’t seem to get into this book atm :mellow:

Finished Ben Aaronovitch’s The October Man (Rivers of London #7.5) :) Not long now for Aaronovitch’s new book Among Our Weapons :exc: . Eleven days to go.

Now starting Rhododendron Pie by Margery Sharp, the first of her novels. Seems good so far, as it’s very similar style to Elizabeth Jane Howard’s The Cazalet Chronicles. 

On 26/03/2022 at 4:32 PM, Marie H said:

Not long now for Aaronovitch’s new book Among Our Weapons :exc: . Eleven days to go.

It’s that close!?!? Wow that time went fast!! Now I’m excited :D

I stayed up way too late finishing Piranesi when I had to get up early for work. I was not expecting it to have that effect! 

Went back to Chocolate House Treason but then needed to read Beloved (Toni Morrison) for another book group (!), so am in the middle of that.  It's also my choice for the USA in my Read Around the World challenge.  After Song of Solomon and with its reputation, was expecting to be wowed, but 120 pages in I'm still finding it difficult to become fully engaged. So far, I can't say it's as good as her earlier book, and am not really impressed with the 'ghost' aspect.

Here is my reading for this month alone

Golden Hill, Francis Spufford 

Goethe Dies, Thomas Bernhard 

Sacred, Dennis Lehane 

Serotonin, Michel Houllebecq 

Workin' It!: RuPaul's Guide to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Style, RuPaul Charles 

The Undiscovered Deaths of Grace McGill, C.S. Robertson 

The Veldt, Ray Bradbury, short story 

The Continental Op, Dashiell Hammett 

Pierre and Jean, Guy de Maupassant, novella 

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

Ooh interested to hear your thoughts on this! 

I can’t decide what I want to read now after Piranesi! 

Did you enjoy Piranesi?

btw, I really enjoyed As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. :)

12 hours ago, Hayley said:

Ooh interested to hear your thoughts on this! 

I can’t decide what I want to read now after Piranesi! 

I loved it, very interesting indeed and so well written.  I'll be on the lookout for his other writings.

Piransi was amazing, I thought and diffcult to follow. I hope that you find something soon.

Finished Beloved.  After my doubts in my earlier post, ending up actually being rather wowed by this!  A book that took a bit (quite a lot!) of getting into, but it grew and grew, proving a challenging, almost difficult, read, but ultimately powerful and very rewarding.  Was totally immersed for the last half - literally unputdownable - and found I appreciated the earlier pages far more when I returned to reread them.  5 out of 6 stars.