Anyone read any William McAvennie?

KEV67

My friend was telling me about him in the pub. Apparently, Ian Rankin finished a book he started, but died before he completed. My friend's wife gave him this book as a Christmas present because he likes Inspector Rebus books. My friend reckons McAvennie might have been a better writer, only he is a lot less politically correct. His detective operates in 70s Glasgow.

I think that you are referring to William McIlvanney.  It's William McIlvanney who died and Rankin finished his last book for him.

From Amazon : William McIlvanney's Laidlaw books changed the face of crime fiction. When he died in 2015, he left half a handwritten manuscript of Laidlaw's first case. Now, Ian Rankin is back to finish what McIlvanney started. In The Dark Remains, these two iconic authors bring to life the criminal world of 1970s Glasgow, and Laidlaw's relentless quest for truth.

That must be why I could not find any of his books in Waterstones this afternoon. When my friend said his name, I thought of Scottish footballer, Frank McAvennie, who had a productive goal scoring partnership with Tony Cottee at West Ham many years ago, if memory serves. We were probably on out third pint by then.