Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power

muggle not

• 6 months later...

I was watching something else on Amazon Prime last night, that I finished past 1am, and turned it off to find the first two episodes of this had dropped (I knew it was out today, but most companies don't post new content until the following morning).  I was left with the dilemma of "Do I watch this now and go bed after 3, or not?"

I compromised and watched the first half hour of the first episode, just to see what it was like, and will watch it again tonight, or possibly Sunday.

What I saw looks amazing, though!

• Like 2

Watched the first two episodes. Oh dear! Given a strong text and a decent story, why do the tv/film makers have to fiddle with it, alter it beyond recognition in many cases, in the name of 'drama'? Slow direction, which could have worked, had the story been made better use of, or the actors could actually act. For the most part they seem like a badly rehearsed am-dram group in your local Church Hall! Visually stunning, as apparently New Zealand lends itself to Tolkien-esque settings if filmed properly. The actors accents wander all over the shop, from cod-Irish to very cod 'Mummerset' and back. With touches of Americanisms thrown in, and some stiff upper lipped English! Will probably stick with it, poor as it is, because I love the original books and source material(s) that this is drawn from, but in general, as I started with; Oh Dear!

I am three episodes in now, will watch episode four later today probably, and find it has improved; it still has various stumbling blocks as regards the quality of the acting and script dialogue, but overall, the stunning visuals are carrying it along! (So far!)

• 1 month later...