Your Book Activity - February 2022

Brian.

The first month of 2022 has passed. What are we all reading today?

I've got three books on the go at the moment. The Mauritanian by Mohamedou Ould Slahi, The Hollow Crown by Dan Jones, and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am reading nothing at the moment, and would not be able to say where my kindle is - a previously unheard of occurrence. 

To stop myself from collapsing into a sobbing un-reading heap, I am sewing / mending things, working  my way through a sudoku book, and ignoring the little bookworm in my mind that is edging toward hysteria at not having a book on the go. 

The saying, 'This too shall pass' is helping me keep sane (ish). 

3 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

I am reading nothing at the moment, and would not be able to say where my kindle is - a previously unheard of occurrence. 

To stop myself from collapsing into a sobbing un-reading heap, I am sewing / mending things, working  my way through a sudoku book, and ignoring the little bookworm in my mind that is edging toward hysteria at not having a book on the go. 

I'm so sorry this is happening to you.  May I suggest that you try a paper book? I have my share of e-books which I read on my Fire tablet but I much prefer paper books, perhaps you're missing the experience of lifting a paper book, using a book mark, smelling the paper and turning an actual page. Obviously I have no way of knowing so it's just a suggestion.

2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I'm so sorry this is happening to you.  May I suggest that you try a paper book? I have my share of e-books which I read on my Fire tablet but I much prefer paper books, perhaps you're missing the experience of lifting a paper book, using a book mark, smelling the paper and turning an actual page. Obviously I have no way of knowing so it's just a suggestion.

Sadly, the problem extends to paper books too. I am surrounded by them, and despite lovingly reaching out for them, my brain, or spirit is just not in the right place to enjoy them just now. My reading mojo seems to take a holiday just when I am in most need of it. Last time I had a long stretch I found that banning myself from even trying to read a book for a few days enabled me to later enjoy one. I may try the same this time around - and perhaps keep a handful of graphic novels and books of poetry to hand, to ease myself back in to things. :)

I love my kindle, and using it means I have no need of my reading glasses, and you additionally have the convenience of carrying your book shelf with you. Yet my love of paper books really hasn't diminished. If I read a kindle book that I fall in love with, I will buy it in book form too, and on other occasions I will only consider buying the paper book. 

6 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

Sadly, the problem extends to paper books too. I am surrounded by them, and despite lovingly reaching out for them, my brain, or spirit is just not in the right place to enjoy them just now. My reading mojo seems to take a holiday just when I am in most need of it. Last time I had a long stretch I found that banning myself from even trying to read a book for a few days enabled me to later enjoy one. I may try the same this time around - and perhaps keep a handful of graphic novels and books of poetry to hand, to ease myself back in to things. :)

I love my kindle, and using it means I have no need of my reading glasses, and you additionally have the convenience of carrying your book shelf with you. Yet my love of paper books really hasn't diminished. If I read a kindle book that I fall in love with, I will buy it in book form too, and on other occasions I will only consider buying the paper book. 

Wow! I went off reading only the once and I was very unhappy but seemed unable to pick up a book (which felt very weird to me). That happened in 2013 before the advent, I believe, of e-books.  I'm glad that it hasn't happened again. 

I hope that you find a way through it and come back to reading.

17 hours ago, Chrissy said:

So sorry this is how you're feeling, Chrissy. As long as it's not due to underlying things, try not to stress about it too much. Your 'This too shall pass', is a great way to view it xxx😘⚘

Aw I hope you're ok Chrissy 😘

And I hope your mojo returns when you're ready. Graphic novels are great when you can't quite face a purely written book for whatever reason. I'm a big fan of Posy Simmonds and like to dip in when my brain isn't up to anything too challenging.

Edited by ~Andrea~

Thank you for the words of encouragement! Life has been a bit of what Terry Pratchett would term, an embuggerance of late, and I think this temporary slump is probably a result of all that. :) 

To keep things ticking over i have been buying both paper books (or tree books!) and a few kindle books. On your recommendation, Andrea, I have today purchased Gemma Bovery by Posy Simmonds. :D 

Concentrating on Jane Smiley’s The Strays of Paris (also titled as Perestroika in Paris), as I’m reading this from the e-library. This is a lovely book :wub:.

On 04/02/2022 at 5:48 PM, Chrissy said:

Thank you for the words of encouragement! Life has been a bit of what Terry Pratchett would term, an embuggerance of late, and I think this temporary slump is probably a result of all that. :)

I love Terry Pratchett, what a great word! And same, stuff has been going on in my life too.

(Still) making my way through various books (mostly non-fiction): The Wheel of Time Companion by Robert Jordan, Harriet McDougal, Ala Romaczuk and Maria Simons (been reading this since December); Invisble Women by Caroline Criado Perez (amazing so far); Biased by Jennifer L. Eberhardt, PhD (good so far); Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay (good so far). I also started 3 other non-fiction books but since I am not that far into them, only read 1 chapter or so, I haven't actually marked them as started reading.

My copy of the graphic novel Gemma Bovery by Posy Simmonds has arrived, and I plan on making a start on that over the weekend. I have additionally ordered her Cassandra Darke GN. Thank you, Andrea. I think I am going to really enjoy them. :)

My son has been visiting for a few days, so any reading I might have done could not have taken place this week regardless of my absent reading mojo. We did take a trip to a local town and I have bought a handful of books from The Works. A rather lovely illustrated and boxed copy of Sun Tzu's Art of War that I think both husband and I will enjoy. I bought a gardening book for my son, who has an allotment, and a Doctor Who book just for the fun of it. 

4 hours ago, Chrissy said:

My copy of the graphic novel Gemma Bovery by Posy Simmonds has arrived, and I plan on making a start on that over the weekend. I have additionally ordered her Cassandra Darke GN. Thank you, Andrea. I think I am going to really enjoy them. :)

Oh fantastic. I loved Cassandra Darke too. I hope you enjoy them Chrissy and they bring a little smile to your face 🙂

Just finished reading "Later" by Stephen King. It was an enjoyable book with lots of humor in it and King kept reminding you that it was a horror book. It revolved around a young boy that could see people that recently died and he could converse with them. It was far though from King's better books.

On 10/02/2022 at 7:27 PM, Raven said:

Taking a short break from Middle Earth and am now reading Playback by Raymond Chandler (it's his last Philip Marlowe novel).

Read that last year for the first time - loved it, as I love all Marlow! A unique voice.

Am currently reading Sebastian Payne's Broken Heartlands, his examination of what went wrong for Labour (and right for the Tories) in the old red wall constituencies. Very recent given some of the comments, but made even more interesting by the recent political upheavals.  Took a short break last night and this morning to read Natasha Brown's very slim but powerful Assembly, As a white, middle-aged male, it gave me an insight into a completely different persepective on British life (or at least a certain niche of it!) in a way no non-fiction exposition every could. It's short, very short, but all that means is that it's every so easy to go back and reread! 5/6 stars. 

33 minutes ago, willoyd said:

Read that last year for the first time - loved it, as I love all Marlow! A unique voice.

They are very enjoyable reads. Dated in a lot of ways, yes, but also very well written and very entertaining.  Sad that this is the last full novel of his that I will ever read, but I've not touched any of his short stories yet, so this is not the end of the road!

8 hours ago, muggle not said:

I am having a hard time getting into reading this year. Don;t know why but I just can't get going.

After seeing the posts by Raven I may try the Philip Marlowe series as I have not read any of them.

I'm struggling a little bit just now too.  Not reading fast enough (I never read fast enough!) but this time it's not as fast as I can read. I adore Philip Marlowe and, like Raven, have not yet read his short stories. Which I do have.

10 hours ago, muggle not said:

I am having a hard time getting into reading this year. Don;t know why but I just can't get going.

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I'm struggling a little bit just now too.  Not reading fast enough (I never read fast enough!) but this time it's not as fast as I can read. 

Oh no, it's catching! I hope all our reading appetites are returned to us soon. :readingtwo:

Another Raymond Chandler fan here. He has a wonderful turn of phrase at times.