Storygraph

Hux

Anyone use this?

It's an alternative to Goodreads and has a lot of analytics and whatnot to better recommend books and so on.

The problem I have with Goodreads is that it makes recommendations based on the most flimsy of criteria. Hey, you read a book by an Italian author so here's some more Italian authors, etc.

I had a quick look though it and was rather put off by glancing through the Reading the World challenge and seeing books listed as being of that country which weren't, Where the Crawdads Sing listed for Brazil and Murder on the Orient Express for Turkey for instance.

On 07/01/2022 at 2:37 PM, Hux said:

The problem I have with Goodreads is that it makes recommendations based on the most flimsy of criteria. Hey, you read a book by an Italian author so here's some more Italian authors, etc.

Seconded. I don’t even bother reading the recommendations any more! 

I’ve never used Storygraph but I just had a look and it seems good in theory!

On 07/01/2022 at 6:15 PM, France said:

I had a quick look though it and was rather put off by glancing through the Reading the World challenge and seeing books listed as being of that country which weren't, Where the Crawdads Sing listed for Brazil and Murder on the Orient Express for Turkey for instance.

Although this doesn’t give me high hopes for their algorithms… 

• 5 weeks later...
On 08/01/2022 at 7:32 PM, Hayley said:

Seconded. I don’t even bother reading the recommendations any more!

This reminds me of that time when I marked a horror book as read on GoodReads and:

GenreHorrorShyLittleKitten.png

Which made me laugh so I took a screenshot when it happened.

On 08/01/2022 at 7:32 PM, Hayley said:

I’ve never used Storygraph but I just had a look and it seems good in theory!

Although this doesn’t give me high hopes for their algorithms… 

I've heard good things about Storygraph from other people. No idea about algorithms though, that's not my area of specialty.

On 08/02/2022 at 7:00 AM, Athena said:

This reminds me of that time when I marked a horror book as read on GoodReads and:

That’s hilarious :giggle2:

On 08/02/2022 at 9:55 AM, Madeleine said:

Perhaps the kitten grew up to be a monster?!

I think that’s the only explanation.

That or the person who categorised it had a really bad experience with cats :lol:

• 10 months later...

Has anyone been using The Story Graph on a regular basis?

I was considering giving Goodreads another go for next year but have heard really good things about The Story Graph and was wondering if any members on here use it and whether they could give me an honest opinion about it.

From what I have heard I believe they are very big on stats, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I’m personally not interested in that side of things so I’m thinking it may be wasted on me. I would like to be able to just log that I have read a book – no star rating, no review – so I'm thinking I may be best sticking to Goodreads. Any ideas?

24 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

There's also Library Thing...

Is that the one you have to pay for though? It wouldn't normally be an issue but I don't really want to have to pay for something that other sites offer for free, particularly if I'm not going to be using the full features/functionality it offers.

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve been on Goodreads for a few years and recently tried StoryGraph and couldn’t get away with it, so deleted the account.

I now gone back o Goodreads but it’s basically to keep track of my books, so when I buy more, I can make sure I don’t repurchase books I already own 😂 

Just joined here, hoping to make some new book friends 

• 1 year later...

I tried Storygraph for a while, but other than the stats, which are interesting but you can only look at them so much, there wasn’t much I was interested in. I think I use an app more for cataloging what I have than finding new books (which I do not have a problem doing on my own), and I think Storygraph is more for the latter.