Read-a-thons 2022

Athena

Hi everyone!

I'm posting the read-a-thon schedule for 2022. This is preliminary and can still be changed if/when requested.

For those not in the know, the BCF read-a-thon is something a few of us on here do. The aim is to spend some time reading during the days of the read-a-thon. You can read whatever book(s) you want.

The read-a-thon usually takes place during the first weekend (Friday-Saturday-Sunday) of each month (so it starts the first Friday of the month). As I said, the dates can still be moved, this is just the preliminary schedule based on the above rule of it being on the first weekend of the month.

[Month]: [Friday Date] [Saturday Date] [Sunday Date]

January: 07 08 09
February: 04 05 06
March: 04 05 06
April: 01 02 03
May: 06 07 08
June: 03 04 05
July: 01 02 03
August: 05 06 07
September: 02 03 04
October: 07 08 09
November: 04 05 06
December: 02 03 04

Has anybody been participating in this one? I started out with big plans and on Thursday and chose a book I thought I might be able to finish (A Very Murderous Christmas - I know it's a bit late but I did want to read it this year and decided there's no harm extending the festive spirit!), but I had a lot of changes to my work schedule on Friday and Saturday (which meant I ended up starting extra early and finishing late) so it didn't quite work out! I did still manage to read 4 of the stories (which is nearly half of the book) so I'm pretty happy with that. I think I can probably get one more in before the end of the day too :)

• 4 weeks later...

Realised this afternoon that it should have been the February read-a-thon weekend! I wouldn't have been able to do much reading anyway (ended up working two 12 hour days on Friday and Saturday) and I'm assuming others didn't have a chance to participate either, as there were no posts here, so would everyone be happy to move the read-a-thon to this coming weekend??

On 07/02/2022 at 4:46 PM, Marie H said:

I forgot the Read-a-thon this weekend, but I read 2-3 hours each day Friday to Sunday.

So you basically did the read-a-thon unknowingly! :lol:

I’m going to be starting today by reading the occasional page of Silence in the Age of Noise between work (since I won’t be finished until 8). I’m quite close to the end of the book, so might finish it over the weekend. I also started reading the next story in my Penguin Book of English Short Stories so I want to finish that too. 

16 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I read James Joyces The Dead as a group read on BGO. It's great story.

I did really enjoy it! I read other parts of Dubliners years ago and just remember it feeling quite depressing, so never went back to it, but I’m glad I ended up reading The Dead. Arguably is still a bit depressing, but so well written and raises some interesting questions about identity. 

Once I’d finished I realised the next story was Kew Gardens by Virginia Woolf, which I like (and it’s very short) so I read that too. 

16 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I'll finish The Scarlet Sword, H E Bates tomorrow.  

I hope it’s good! 

4 minutes ago, Hayley said:

I did really enjoy it! I read other parts of Dubliners years ago and just remember it feeling quite depressing, so never went back to it, but I’m glad I ended up reading The Dead. Arguably is still a bit depressing, but so well written and raises some interesting questions about identity. 

Good

4 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Once I’d finished I realised the next story was Kew Gardens by Virginia Woolf, which I like (and it’s very short) so I read that too. 

Not read that, I'll look it up

5 minutes ago, Hayley said:

I hope it’s good! 

It is

6 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Not read that, I'll look it up

Definitely worth a read. Not much actually happens in it, it’s just a very beautiful snapshot of a few moments on a summers day in Kew Gardens, with the view drifting between different visitors (and a snail :)). 

I had ambitions plans for my reading this evening but then had a call from my mom to say my old neighbour’s dog had run away and she was in a terrible state - so I ended up walking around in the rain looking for a dog instead (he’s been found safe and well now!). Going to read a little bit of Silence in the Age of Noise before bed instead! 

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Hayley said:

Any particular plan or haven’t you decided yet? :) 

Plans to finish 2 books this weekend, and it’s going well with reading 2 hours this afternoon.

On 04/03/2022 at 8:46 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

Golden Hill, Francis Spufford.

Just looked it up and it sounds good! And likely fast paced? 

15 hours ago, Marie H said:

Finished one of books today, and it was light, gentle humour, so very enjoyable time this afternoon  :)

Oh well done! I’m glad it made for an enjoyable afternoon too :). I went for light and humorous with my book as well.

I read for quite a while last night because I couldn’t sleep so I think I’ll get quite far past half way with it today!