Hayley's Reading in 2022

Hayley

12 hours ago, Raven said:

In answer to your spoiler...

Totally agree 

Spoiler

that it's setting up Peter to become the one in charge. And it does make me feel better to think that we still have quite a few books left to get more on Nightingale! He mentioned wanting to travel, which is why I felt that he wouldn't be involved once he leaves but actually, thinking about it more, there does seem to be a very intentional introduction of the magic systems of different countries over the last few books (and the short stories)... could that be the role Nightingale will take? Will he maybe be establishing international connections with the Folly? Or sharing information with Peter in a similar way to Agent Reynolds?

It just felt like a bit of a sad ending when I read it! A bit deflating after all of their success and the birth of the twins. 

• 3 months later...

The Old Curiosity Shop

by Charles Dickens

4.5/5 (I loved it)

There's just something about Dickens. I've never failed to enjoy one of his books and even at times when they are sad, or tense, or dramatic, there's something calming about them. I always love the way he intertwines the stories of different people's lives and how they affect each other. The Old Curiosity Shop definitely has some tension, in fact I think it arguably has one of the most dislikeable villains Dickens ever wrote. It is also very sad. I knew the overall plot before I started reading and the knowledge of what happens made me put off reading it properly for years! It's one of those plots that shows how easily good people can, through no fault of their own, be thrown into dire circumstances. For those of you who've read Hard Times, it's comparable to Stephen Blackpool. As ever with Dickens though, the sad parts are lightened by an overarching sense of hope and so you aren't quite left feeling totally depressed at the end.

It isn't my favourite Dickens book (hence the knocking off of half a star) but I'm very glad I finally got over my reluctance to read it :D 

• Like 3

On 10/31/2022 at 7:04 PM, Hayley said:

It isn't my favourite Dickens book (hence the knocking off of half a star) but I'm very glad I finally got over my reluctance to read it :D 

I love Dickens, but have to agree - definitely not my favourite.  In fact, of those I've read so far (8 novels plus the Christmas Stories), this has been the least for me.  I find some of the sentiment rather too cloying on this one. Still worth at least 4 out of 6! 

16 hours ago, willoyd said:

I find some of the sentiment rather too cloying on this one.

I do agree and I think it slightly takes away from the realism of some parts. At the same time though...

Spoiler

When Kit turned up with the bird in the cage, that he'd cared for all the time Nell was gone 😭

If I'd been scoring out of 6 I would have given it a 5 :). My favourite is a split between Bleak House (which I think is technically the best written) and David Copperfield, which is the book that really made me fall in love with Dickens' style. 

53 minutes ago, Hayley said:

My favourite is a split between Bleak House (which I think is technically the best written) and David Copperfield, which is the book that really made me fall in love with Dickens' style. 

Both 6 out of 6s on my list (only 131 books with that rating, and only 78 fiction!).  Bleak House tops out for me - one of my all-time favourite half dozen, but Copperfield  is superb! Most others are on 5, although Christmas Carol  is now a 6 too - that has grown on me with multiple reads.

4 hours ago, willoyd said:

although Christmas Carol  is now a 6 too - that has grown on me with multiple reads.

I think I’d agree with this one too actually. It’s hard to compare them because A Christmas Carol is such a different type of story, it doesn’t lend itself to the same complexities as the others - but in terms of style and quality of writing I do think it belongs amongst the most highly rated!