Pets - 2022

Hayley

I've been thinking about our old pet threads recently and how much I used to enjoy seeing other peoples pets! Although I still got to see lots of lovely pictures of pets on the forum this year, there wasn't a specific place for them any more. So I've been saving some news until today, when I could start a new 2022 Pets thread...

Everyone, meet Lilly: 

Lilly.jpg

She is a little ball of joy and chaos and I love her. 

Please use this thread to tell everyone about your current pets and your pet memories :) 

15 hours ago, Brian. said:

Once we finally manage to move house we will definitely be getting a pet or two. 

What pets would you like to have??

11 minutes ago, France said:

Lily looks like quite a character. There's attitude there! Is she a beagle?

Yes she’s a beagle and definitely quite a character! She loves to sleep curled up on me, which is very cute, but she’s also very clever in ways that are sometimes unfortunate (like working out that she can just about reach to tap the top of the bin and open it :roll:).

5 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Yes she’s a beagle and definitely quite a character! She loves to sleep curled up on me, which is very cute, but she’s also very clever in ways that are sometimes unfortunate (like working out that she can just about reach to tap the top of the bin and open it :roll:).

We had a Dalmatian (almost as accomplished thieves as Labradors) who worked out how to open the bread bin by getting his nose under the handle and rolling it up.

6 hours ago, Hayley said:

What pets would you like to have??

Ideally I would get a dog as we always had dogs when I was a kid. I chose a Labrador when I was about 5 and he lived for about 15 years so I’ve always wanted another. Unfortunately, even when we do move I can’t see us getting a dog. I work long hours and it would be left alone for between 12-16 hours at a time which isn’t fair and I wouldn’t want to do that to a dog.

My wife really wants a rabbit and I wouldn’t mind a cat so I imagine we would get one if not both. One thing is for certain though, I want a rescue animal when the time comes. 

3 hours ago, France said:

You're a really good photographer Hux! I love that picture, so full of essence of dog.

It was a professional photographer. 

Here's my rubbish pictures.

1517611830845.jpg 

20161201_202251.jpg

Edited by Hux

On 02/01/2022 at 10:57 AM, France said:

We had a Dalmatian (almost as accomplished thieves as Labradors) who worked out how to open the bread bin by getting his nose under the handle and rolling it up.

Was that Desi? I love dalmatians, they always seem so full of character (and the picture you posted of Desi in the other thread was especially full of character!). Luckily Lilly is not tall enough to reach the bread bin!

On 02/01/2022 at 1:11 PM, Madeleine said:

We had a beagle when I was a child and there aren't many places you can keep them out of!

I was not warned about that trait - she also puts her nose in all my pockets :giggle2:.

On 02/01/2022 at 1:11 PM, Marie H said:

Lily is beautiful! *trying to imagine feeling Lily's soft ears* :D

They are so soft!!!

23 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Lilly is, indeed, gorgeous.  I wish you many years of happiness together.  How old is she, is she still a puppy?

Thank you :) she is still a puppy, nearly 14 weeks now!

23 hours ago, France said:

Sybil, now aged two but still just as opinionated, disapproving of my reading material.

She is beautiful!! I would read whatever Sybil wanted :wub:

20 hours ago, Brian. said:

Ideally I would get a dog as we always had dogs when I was a kid. I chose a Labrador when I was about 5 and he lived for about 15 years so I’ve always wanted another. Unfortunately, even when we do move I can’t see us getting a dog. I work long hours and it would be left alone for between 12-16 hours at a time which isn’t fair and I wouldn’t want to do that to a dog.

My wife really wants a rabbit and I wouldn’t mind a cat so I imagine we would get one if not both. One thing is for certain though, I want a rescue animal when the time comes. 

Ah, that's a shame. Maybe further ahead in the future though! A cat or rabbit would be lovely additions to the family anyway (and there were, sadly, so many cats waiting for new homes when we were looking - I just wanted to adopt everything :( ). The story behind getting Lilly was a funny one actually (well, not exactly ha-ha funny) - we had been applying to various rescue centres for quite a while and then someone got in touch who was desperate to rehome a young beagle (due to change in family circumstances) and thought we would be perfect. We were so happy, he seemed like such a lovely dog and we went out to buy him all the things he would need after setting a date and time to collect him. Then, two days before we were meant to pick him up, his original owner changed their mind. They didn't want to let him go and said they would find a way to keep him... so that was a pretty awful feeling (although I am happy for them if they genuinely found a way around their problems). Then, by chance, the very next day my boyfriend saw a post from someone who wasn't a breeder, but had wanted their family dog (a beagle!) to have a single litter of puppies. Obviously they couldn't keep all of them, so they were looking for good homes for the rest. I liked the way they were checking on the homes the puppies were going to, like the rescue centres do, but I still felt a little bit suspicious since they weren't an organisation and we didn't know them personally. But, anyway, my boyfriend really wanted to give them a chance so I got in touch and talked to them a bit, went to their house and met their family dog (who was lovely) and, while we were there, Lilly kept running up to me and licking my hands... and my heart just melted at that point so we had to ask them if we could take her home :lol:.

6 hours ago, Athena said:

I always enjoyed our Pets threads.

Me too! I don't know why we stopped doing them! (and I told Lilly you said hi :lol:)

4 hours ago, Hux said:

Dash in full flow here...

This is a moment of pure, adorable joy (Dash seems like a very appropriate name too!)

21 minutes ago, Hux said:

They're not rubbish! That level of relaxation is a bit of a contrast to the other picture though :giggle2:. (I imagine those ears are also very soft).

My dad used to leave his jeans on the bed, and our beagle would go and shove her nose in the pockets, pull out banknotes and chew them up!  She also loved to chew up glasses (the ones you wear, not drink out of), so don't leave anything lying around, hairbrushes, pens, the list is endless!

Dash is gorgeous too!

3 hours ago, Hux said:

Not rubbish! And very characterful.

3 hours ago, Hayley said:

Was that Desi? I love dalmatians, they always seem so full of character (and the picture you posted of Desi in the other thread was especially full of character!). Luckily Lilly is not tall enough to reach the bread bin!

No, that was Flynn who was most definitely a character!

She is beautiful!! I would read whatever Sybil wanted :wub:

She has a paw of iron dressed up in some pretty speckled fur.

but I still felt a little bit suspicious since they weren't an organisation and we didn't know them personally. But, anyway, my boyfriend really wanted to give them a chance so I got in touch and talked to them a bit, went to their house and met their family dog (who was lovely)

I reckon you can be pretty sure that if you are invited to someone's home and get to meet the mother that the puppies are OK. They won't be from a puppy farm or imported illegally.

I know a couple of breeders here in France and they are very careful about who their puppies go to and if for some reason the new owners decide to get rid of the dog will work their butts off to find the dog a new, decent home.

These are Ingie and Dino, both rescues.

Ingie was in a refuge for over 5 years after being removed from his owners for cruelty and was already 10 when we adopted him. We thought we'd give him a home for his last years, when he arrived in September 2020 he didn't know to wag his tail or move his ears in response when someone spoke to him. We've been unbelievably lucky because though he has a few issues he is very loving and affectionate. Since Desi died he's appointed himself chief comforter which involves spending a lot of time draped across my lap.

Dino, on the right, is my daughter's and was thrown out of a car and left to fend for himself.

Cropped Inge and Dino.jpg

On 03/01/2022 at 5:16 PM, Madeleine said:

My dad used to leave his jeans on the bed, and our beagle would go and shove her nose in the pockets, pull out banknotes and chew them up!  She also loved to chew up glasses (the ones you wear, not drink out of), so don't leave anything lying around, hairbrushes, pens, the list is endless!

Luckily she hasn't gotten hold of any money but my hairbrush has a few teeth marks in it now!

On 03/01/2022 at 5:55 PM, France said:

These are Ingie and Dino, both rescues.

Oh they are so lovely! Their stories are heart-breaking though. I will never understand how some humans can be so cruel :(. I'm glad they both got good loving homes in the end.