Your Book Activity - January 2022

Brian.

A one-evening read for Ira Levin's The Stepford Wives, the book for Connecticut on my tour of the USA.  The first disappointing choice for the tour too, now half-way completed.  Relieved it was such a quick read, because, satirical though it was meant to be, it felt horribly dated, and lacked credibility. For just 138 pages and one sitting, it felt remarkably tedious.  2/6.

Edited by willoyd

I'm onto my third book by Margery Sharp ... Cluny Brown, Rhododendron Pie and The Stone of Chastity. These were all written in the 1930's and 40's. Margery Sharp writes rather unconventional and original characters who are very likeable and there is always a good dose of comedy, along with some insightful observations. Enjoying them very much.

7 hours ago, poppy said:

I'm onto my third book by Margery Sharp ... Cluny Brown, Rhododendron Pie and The Stone of Chastity. These were all written in the 1930's and 40's. Margery Sharp writes rather unconventional and original characters who are very likeable and there is always a good dose of comedy, along with some insightful observations. Enjoying them very much.

That’s good that you enjoyed her books, as I have Rhododendron Pie, The Foolish Gentlewoman and Four Gardens in my kindle list. 

10 hours ago, Marie H said:

That’s good that you enjoyed her books, as I have Rhododendron Pie, The Foolish Gentlewoman and Four Gardens in my kindle list. 

Hope you enjoy them too, Marie ... let me know what you think. They're fairly light reading, but her characters are well written. I'll probably read another one next 😄

On 29/01/2022 at 1:52 AM, poppy said:

Hope you enjoy them too, Marie ... let me know what you think. They're fairly light reading, but her characters are well written. I'll probably read another one next 😄

Thanks Poppy, I hope to read one of Margery Sharp’s next. I love most to the female authors from Dean Street Press, especially around the 40s and 50s, they are very soothing!

Completed Damon Galgut's The Promise this evening - a vastly better book than my last one!  Absorbing, punchily written, it almost forcibly pulled you along unrelentingly. A good start to my round the world challenge  5/6 stars. 

Recently finished The last two in the Chocolate Lovers series. The Christmas and Wedding. I have enjoyed this as a whole. Loved the first book of the series and it got me wanting more. The last one however I found myself getting slightly infuriated by how unrealistic a lot of it was. The author also had some very good side stories that would have been so much better if they were focused on more. 

One very annoying aspect was the MC saying/thinking "chocolate gives of endorphins or something/or whatever." This is not exactly what was written but just trying to say the author constantly writing or something all the time. I guess unnecessary dim-witted characters especially when they don't need to be is not a trope I like. 

However having said all that I gave the books (4 in total) 5* 4* 4* 3* respectively. So I did actually like them despite my moaning 😅 

I have also recently finished A Clash Of Kings. I did start quite straight away on the 3rd book so I wasn't losing where I was. I put it down for a while as I was not feeling it at one point but when I picked it back up I seemed to not want to stop reading. The only thing is the many POV and all the main and minor characters I find it difficult to keep up. 

I am currently reading Emma another book I have been reading for some time with the fact i lost it at one point and also The Lovliest Chocolate Shop In Paris again reading for a few months due to not been in the mood for it at one point. Thoroughly enjoying both though. 

Other than that in between those have read a lot of children's. 

Edited by Lau_Lou
Wrong choice of word

I think Storm of Swords is the best book of the series, I couldn't put it down.  I found Clash of Kings and Feast for Crows hard ro get into at first, but fine once they got going.  Hope you enjoy them.

• Brian. unpinned this topic