Janet's Reading Log 2008

Janet

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque yesterday (8/10).

Now moving on to Escape by Carolyn Jessop

The 'blurb' (from Amazon)

Born into the Fundamentalist Church of the Latter Day Saints (FLDS), the author describes her life before, during and after her marriage at 18 to a 50-year-old man with three other wives. This painful memoir certainly doesn't bear much resemblance to the polygamous fantasies of the HBO series Big Love. The author's large family lived in grinding poverty, and Jessop was constantly subjected to humiliations at the hands of her husband, Merril. But she had inner resources. In a decidedly patriarchal culture, she often spoke her mind, and she talked Merril into letting her go to college. Her occasional questioning of his views, however, earned his suspicion and the condescension and mistrust of her fellow wives. So what kept Jessop in the community? Fear. From her earliest childhood, when she played a game called "apocalypse," she had been taught that God punished those who disobeyed his rules. Furthermore, she knew that no woman had ever managed to get herself and her children safely away from the community. Still, one night in 2003, Jessop snuck her eight children out of the house and fled to Salt Lake City. There, she found little in the way of support networks for women escaping polygamy. She was told that "there would be more legal and financial help for me if I were a refugee arriving from a foreign country." The chapters about her struggles to adjust to this new life are more riveting than the occasionally tedious descriptions of her earlier hardships. Especially wrenching are scenes featuring the two of Jessop's children who felt torn between their parents and resented their mother for taking them away from the FLDS church. The book's final pages recount triumphs large and small, from getting her first stylish haircut to standing up to her husband in court.Though Jessop's circumstances were unusual - and particularly harrowing - her memoir will appeal to many women who have left abusive relationships.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never read it, but we were discussing it on the Neighbours forum so I thought I'd check it out.

Although rather tame to an adult, I can see why it was such an exciting book to a teen - and why so many were buying it and hiding it from their parents! I was surprised to find it was published in 1975 - I'd assumed it was from about 10 years after that date. The version I have has a message from Ms Blume in the front about how in the 70s, the message was to use contraception to avoid pregnancy, whereas today it would have been about using a condom for safe sex.

Despite it being over 30 years old, it didn't seem dated at all. Very enjoyable. :17:

• 2 weeks later...
Finished Moab is my Washpot by Stephen Fry yesterday. A very frank and honest account of his first 18 years. 9/10

I'm glad you liked it, it's in my TBR and I have it in my bookshelf already. Have you read any of the other books by Stephen Fry?

• 2 weeks later...
I've lost my reading Mojo. :woohoo:

If anyone finds it, please return it to me by first-class post, as I'm missing it...!

I think it's out causing mischief with mine! I haven't been able to pick up a book in weeks!

I've lost my reading Mojo. :drama:

If anyone finds it, please return it to me by first-class post, as I'm missing it...!

Perhaps your prize will entice it out of hiding! hope so, `cause losing your mojo is no fun. :woohoo: well done on the win. :)

Thanks guys. :drama:

Ceinwenn - they're a pair, aren't they! Hopefully someone will send them marching back soon.

Pipread - I hope so - I'm certainly looking forward to reading David Walliams' book. :)

I've been reading The Shack since 29 October. It's okay but it's not making me think "I *must* pick this up to find out what happens next..." but if I stop now then I know I won't go back to it as I'm not very good at returning to books I've half-read.

I've lost my ironing Mojo too - but I'm less concerned about that! :woohoo:

Thanks guys. :lol:

I've been reading The Shack since 29 October. It's okay but it's not making me think "I *must* pick this up to find out what happens next..." but if I stop now then I know I won't go back to it as I'm not very good at returning to books I've half-read.

I`m a bit like this with Second Glance - don`t know why! :)

I've lost my ironing Mojo too - but I'm less concerned about that! :drama:

I lost this ages ago, not rushing to find it either!! :woohoo:

I've lost my reading Mojo. :drama:

Me too :lol: My OH subtly pointed out to me today that since I joined the bcf I have read less! :woohoo:

Well done on your win btw! You lucky thing lol :)

Edited by Charm

• 2 weeks later...

I finished The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom on Sunday. It was a good and enjoyable story but lacked depth of characterisation in my opinion. 7/10

I finished The Shack by William Paul Young this morning. I've been reading it for *weeks*. :D I really don't know how to review this one - will have to put my thinking cap on!