On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan

Janet

I saw this in Asda the other day and I was going to buy it, but Mr Gyre was there moaning about the trolley so I forgot to pick it up.

I will give it a go. x

• 2 weeks later...
I had seen this advertised and made a bee line to buy it but when I saw it, I was disappointed at how thin it was so decided against it at the time.I feel robbed unless I get 300 pages for my money :)

Yeh...the full price put me off too for such a thin book. Why don't you do a bookring/chain for it and share it with others!!

It's a few months since I read this, but I'll bet the "spoiler" which was really interpretation will split the sexes.

Yes, you may be right that had they talked, all would have been resolved, but you can't take the novel out of the context of the time. People didn't talk as openly then as they do now - or so I'm told. And don't forget Edward's discomfort around the whole "sex" thing. Then add the huge insult to his pride on the fateful night.

I enjoyed On Chesil Beach. I thought it was very clever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I loved this book. I know it doesn't take long to read, but for me the form suits the story of it. It takes place over the course of one evening, and if they did choose to make it longer, I do believe it would drag. It's short and intense in my opinion, like the evening in question.

My opinion is a bit of a spoiler...so hidden!

I don't think Edward ever meant to be unkind or pressure his new wife, like others pointed out they're both victims of the period, where sex was talked about, but in the most hush-hush manner. This effected men as much as women. As much as talking would have helped, much was expected of both sexes on their wedding night. It was assumed sex would happen for the first time then

• 1 month later...

Ok, first I haven't read On Chesil Beach, and from the reviews and discussion threads I've read elsewhere I don't think I want to, of course that could change at the drop of a hat, er, book. :lol:

But, in the discussion I read, they claimed

that her father had sexually abused her whilst she was very young, and that turned her off of sex. [natch]

I don't know, and really, that's the only reason I'd be tempted to read it, to see what I think of that theory. :lol:

Now. I hope this spoiler tag works! Otherwise it's DELETE!

I find that it's written very correctly, but that for all the lightness of touch in the writing, absolutely nothing of any note really happens in the books and I find myself spectacularly underwhelmed by the wetness and lack of substance.

Atonement was the worst of the lot for me, but that might be because of the insanely high praise it received. It read, very much, like someone who's read too much Bronte and Austen stuff and wants to regurgitate it for the 21st century.

I find that it's written very correctly, but that for all the lightness of touch in the writing, absolutely nothing of any note really happens in the books and I find myself spectacularly underwhelmed by the wetness and lack of substance.

Atonement was the worst of the lot for me, but that might be because of the insanely high praise it received. It read, very much, like someone who's read too much Bronte and Austen stuff and wants to regurgitate it for the 21st century.

In all honesty, I started watching the film and was bored within half hour so am not interested in reading Atonement. I might look into his other books. Although imitators of the Classics annoy me somewhat

I haven't read any of his books, does he come highly recommended?

Highly recommended by some, not at all recommended by others :roll:

And those who do love him seem to have very different ideas as to which book they like the most. I would recommend reading a few of his books - if you don't like the first one there may be something else that you'll like more.

Personally, I've only read Atonement: I liked some parts and disliked others, but I'll definitely try more of his work though.