BBC Series, Between the Covers

Brian.

I stumbled upon the BBC Series Between the Covers last night and wondered if anyone else has seen it and what they think of it. As far as I'm aware it's the only book programme on mainstream TV in the UK and although it introduced me to a book I think I'll like, I can't say I was too impressed with it. The humour in it felt really really forced and the scripted 'funny' intro to each section was awful. I'm not going to give up on it yet, it might have been a bad one-off, or it may grow on me but I'm quite disappointed by it.

Panel show comedians talking about some forgettable (but zeitgeisty) contemporary novel for less than three minutes. It's all a bit flimsy.

I'd prefer something weightier. I used to (half) enjoy Newsnight Review. They at least focused on one book for about twenty minutes. 

Edited by Hux

I haven't watched, although do mean to.  I was put off when one of my book groups suggested reading one of their 'Winter Warmer' books, a choice of 12 'must read' titles, and I was completely underwhelmed by the list.  None were must-reads, a couple were maybes.   Even the Penelope Fitzgerald title (The Bookshop) was perhaps the one Fitzgerald I didn't actually enjoy much!  Going through their choices for this list and others, I think I just read different books, as very few have any appeal, and where I have read authors or books, I've more often than not found them wanting (there are some exceptions!).  But then Radio 4's Open Book does very little for me either.  A Good Read is far more up my street.  Trouble is, when it comes to fiction, nobody on these programmes ever seems to read anything more than a few years old, if that.  It's as if the twentieth and earlier centuries almost didn't exist.  And as for non-fiction.....(other than for a few memoir/biogs)!

talking about some forgettable (but zeitgeisty) contemporary novel for less than three minutes. It's all a bit flimsy.

Nailed it. 3 minutes or 10 minutes, it's always the same on these and other 'arts' programmes.

Edited by willoyd

• 2 weeks later...