Louise's Books 2008

Louiseog

Here Goes!

In 2008 I want to read the books that appear here

I've started organising too! In red are the ones I have read, bold the most recent; green tried; purple I own

I am going to give the ones I read a mark out of 10 on here and then review (although I am not very good) those ones I really liked/or thought strongly about)

I'm Not Scared by Niccolo Ammaniti

Dreams of Water by Nada Awar Jarrar 5/10

Lint by Steve Aylett

Ishq and Mushq by Priya Basil 7/10

The Ghost at the Table by Suzanne Berne (CD) 5/10

Needle in the Blood by Sarah Bower 3/10

The Brief History of the Dead Kevin Brockmeier

The Delivery Room by Sylvia Brownrigg 6/10

Upstate by Kalisha Buckhanon 9/10

So He Takes the Dog by Jonathan Buckley

The Family Tree by Carole Cadwalladr 8/10

Footprints in the Sand by Sarah Challis

In a Good Light by Clare Chambers 9/10

Incendiary by Chris Cleave 9/10

The House of Sleep by Jonathan Coe

Red Leaves by Thomas H Cook

The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill 9/10

A Sunday in the Pool in Kigali by Gill Courtemanche 8/10

Wolves Eat Dogs by Martin Cruz Smith

The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by GW Dahlquist 3/10

The Mathematics of Love by Emma Darwin

The Red Men by Matthew de Abatuia

Before I Die by Jenny Downham 9/10

Ruso and the Disappearing Dancing Girls by RS Downie

House of Orphans by Helen Dunmore 5/10

Tatty by Christine Dwyer Hickey

The Raft by Arabella Edge

Gathering the Water by Robert Edric 3/10

Under the Skin by Michael Faber

Bitter Sweets by Roopa Farooki

Happiness by Will Ferguson

Adept by Robert Finn

Hunting and Gathering by Anna Galvada

By the Tide of Humber by Daphne Glazer

Playing with the Moon by Eliza Graham 7/10

Elephant by David Grant 5/10

Satisfaction by Gillian Greenwood

The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greet

The Faces of Angels by Lucretia Grindle 6/10

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen 8/10

Measuring Time by Helon Habila 8/10

The Solitude of Thomas Cave by Georgina Harding

One Big Damn Puzzler by John Harding

A Small Part of Me by Noelle Harrison

Eventide by Kent Haruf

The Ghost Writer by John Harwood 8/10

Afterlands by Steven Heighton

The World to Come by Dara Horn

Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson

The Time of Dying by Reina James

My Dirty Little Book of Stolen Time by Liz Jensen

Wintering by Derek Johns

Tombstoning by Doug Johnstone (listened 4/10 too much drinking)

The Earthquake Bird by Susanna Jones

The Water Clock by Jim Kelly 7/10

Transmission by Hari Kunzru

A Matter of Death and Life by Andrey Kurkov

Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link

The Secrets of the Chess Machine by Robert Lohr 7/10

The Stornoway Way by Kevin Macneil

The Flood by David Maine 6/10

A Close Run Thing by Allan Mallinson

Symphony of the Dead by Abbas Maroufi

The Last Life by Claire Messud

Demo by Alison Miller

Salt & Honey by Candi Miller

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell

Cage of Stars by Jacqueline Mitchard

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd 5/10

The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen

People I Wanted to Be by Gina Ochsner

Astrid & Veronika by Linda Olsson

The Girl from the Chartreuse by Pierre Peju

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl

The Hindi-Bindi Club by Monica Pradhan

A Changed Man by Francine Prose

Aberystwyth Mon Amour by Malcom Pryce 6/10

Electricity by Roy Robinson

Keeping Secrets by Andrew Rosenheim

In Cold Daylight by Pauline Rowson

The King's Last Song by Geoff Ryman

Lullaby by Clare Seeber

The Girl in Times Square by Paullina Simons

The Matchmaker of Perigord by Julia Stuart 7/10

Q&A by Vikas Swarup

Things to Make and Mend by Ruth Thomas

The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas

Death of a Murderer by Rupert Thomson

A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews

Boy A by Jonathan Trigell 8/10

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall

The Dead of Summer by Camilla Way 8/10

The Half-Life of Stars by Louise Wener

Fallen Idols by Neil White

The Hidden Assasins by Robert Wilson 7/10

The Position by Meg Wolitzer 6/10

Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell

August by Gerard Woodward

Speaking of Love by Angela Young

The Guardian of the Dawn by Richard Zimler

Edited by Louiseog

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tee hee, I love my job! (Well for 12 weeks I do)

To be honest I read more in the term time than I do in holidays, I have three kids of my own (and have to entertain them in the hols..... I mean honestly! :friends0::D)

Ishq and Mushq by Priya Basil. A good start to the year

PS Roland have you read the Mathew Shardlake series by C J Sansom, Dark Fire, Dissolution and Sovereign, they are great!

Historical detective fiction doesn't do a great deal for me, Louise, but I thought Winter in Madrid was a cracker. On that basis, and if you say they're worth reading - well, who knows?

They are historical detective but one of the best written and most historical I have come across (and he did the same degree as me! Although that shouldn't really be a major reason;))

Ishq and Mushq.

Great great.

The story of a Sikh family and their history from 1940s India, to Uganda and to the UK. But it is their story and the characters are great, mother with a secret is a great larger than life character and all moves on from Ishq and Mushq Love and Smell two things you cannot hide.

Part of my reading challenge.

Ishq and Mushq.

Great great.

The story of a Sikh family and their history from 1940s India, to Uganda and to the UK. But it is their story and the characters are great, mother with a secret is a great larger than life character and all moves on from Ishq and Mushq

Now that will be put on my wish list. It is the itinerary of many people (now elderly) who live around here and who are patients where I work. India, East Africa and then UK in the mid 70's.

Now that will be put on my wish list. It is the itinerary of many people (now elderly) who live around here and who are patients where I work. India, East Africa and then UK in the mid 70's.

It was quite interesting, my mum works in healthcare in Ealing (she lives by you H and D).They talked a lot about Southall where she has a lot of patients

Karin Slaughter Skin Privilege. I love this author and this was fantastic not saying any more as would involve spoilers!

*sniff*

Quintin Jardine Poisoned Cherries.

Also listened to Ghost at the Table Susanna Berne, OK family relationships in intimate detail at Thanksgiving, think mine was more fun

Before I Die by Jenny Downham

I read that one a few months ago. my store recieved an ARC for it, and I read the back and I thought it was going to be a Lurlene McDaniel YA book about saying goodbye and all morbid but sappy. But it was really great! Really fast, and I'm a moderately fast reader. It's an honest book, nothing G Rated to appease the parents; the girl doesn't want to die a virgin. I'm sure you already know what it's about so I don't need to tell you, but I enjoyed it!

I looove Joshilyn. She has a new one coming out in March, and I read the ARC and thought it was so-so. But Gods in Alabama was good; though I would recommend Between, Georgia more.

Cage of Stars by Jacquelyn Mitchard

I also read this one last year, and I think it's actually one of her best ones, not that I've read them all. I don't remember why I liked it so much, but I did!

I've recently discovered Karin Slaughter. I'm reading Faithless at the moment. Have you read any of her other books?

Read them all, I actually think she gets better! This one was great, am having a bit of a theory at the moment along the lines of I like gory thrillers but only when there are goodie and baddies and the lines are clear between the two, the Grant County books have this I think, ordinary people who do their best.

Before I Die by Jenny Downham

I read that one a few months ago. my store recieved an ARC for it, and I read the back and I thought it was going to be a Lurlene McDaniel YA book about saying goodbye and all morbid but sappy. But it was really great! Really fast, and I'm a moderately fast reader. It's an honest book, nothing G Rated to appease the parents; the girl doesn't want to die a virgin. I'm sure you already know what it's about so I don't need to tell you, but I enjoyed it!

I looove Joshilyn. She has a new one coming out in March, and I read the ARC and thought it was so-so. But Gods in Alabama was good; though I would recommend Between, Georgia more.

Cage of Stars by Jacquelyn Mitchard

I also read this one last year, and I think it's actually one of her best ones, not that I've read them all. I don't remember why I liked it so much, but I did!

Thank you, have heard good things about the first one but not the others. They are a list of 100 reading group books for World Book Day. There is a link somewhere but I thought it might be a(nother) way of extending my reading!

Quintin Jardine - Poisoned Cherries.

The second Oz Blackstone book that I have read and very good, not difficult, goodies win etc etc.

And then: In a Good Light Clare Chambers

One of my Reading Challenges for World Book Day.

The Story: Without even noticing, thirty-four-year-old Esther Fairchild has become a prisoner of routine. Living with her adored brother, Christian, she divides her time between illustrating children's books, nightly shifts as a waitress, weekly visits to her father and fortnightly meetings with her married lover. Then one day she encounters a face in the crowd which jolts her out of her mundane existence and makes her question both her life and the past that has helped to shape it. Memories she had long chosen to forget begin to resurface. Memories of an eccentric childhood in a large and shabby house, where the children were very much left to fend for themselves within the loose boundaries of their parents' unorthodox values. A chaotic existence peopled by a rich collection of feckless 'guests'. And into this shambolic world came Donovan - regularly deposited by his unreliable mother - and Penny, Christian's girlfriend and Esther's idol and mentor. Until tragedy struck and shattered all their lives. But now, it seems, their lives are about to become intertwined once more...

This was a bit like Unstolen by Wendy Jean or Hide and Seek by Clare Sambrook for me. I loved the story of her growing up and knowing that something momentous was going to happen.

The ends tied up well and all in all a good story well told

Yes, he writes lots of books with other people but the Cross series is the orginal and I am sure he does them alone and they are better in the main.

I do like the ones he writes with Maxine Pietro (sure I read somewhere that he writes a brief summary and she does the rest) the 1st 2nd 3rd ones about the 1st Ladies Detective Club but not bothered about him and Andrew Gross and Peter de Jonge.

The Alex Cross series (Kiss the Girls was a film) is a good thriller and this one was vintage I thought.

Dreams of Water, Nada Awar Jarrar

Good things: A positive view of Lebanon, life rather than fighting. (sounds lovely)

BUT: Did not appear to ever really go anywhere, left me feeling dismal and that nothing really had changed for any of the characters.

Gave it 5/10 as am glad I read it (I think) will probably stay with me for a long time.

Hmm what next, I love this feeling