Your Book Activity - December 2021

Brian.

On 12/12/2021 at 2:31 PM, muggle not said:

I just started "The Lincoln Highway" by Amor Towles. It has received great reviews and several are calling it the book of the year. Some even describe it as a Classic. We shall see.

I will be satisfied if it is as good as his previous book A Gentleman in Moscow. :) 

The reviews I've read have been rather more mixed - none negative, just not rave.  Loved A Gentleman in Moscow, so, like France and lunababymoonchild, I'll be interested to see what you make of it.  I'm not in a hurry!

Finished The Virginian a couple of days ago - reviewed on my thread (5/6 stars).  Just finished Through The Woods by HE Bates:  lovely descriptive piece of nature writing, beautifully produced (as ever) by Little Toller with superb woodcut illustrations by Agnes Miller Parker, one of my favourite artists.  Definitely at least 5 stars, contemplating the full 6.  That's my 85th book of the year - a new all-time high for a calendar year, with a fortnight still to go!

Currently reading The Holy Roman Empire, A Short History by Barbara Stollberg-Rilinger.  Readable enough, useful overview of the politics and how it functioned - interesting parallels with modern day EU.

Edited by willoyd

Received Lore Olympus Volume 1 by Rachel Smythe. Waiting this one for a couple of weeks from Waterstones, and it’s one heavyweights tome of a paperback! Blurb is gushing “Scandalous gossip, wild parties, and forbidden love - witness what the gods do after dark in this stylish and contemporary reimagining of one of mythology's best-known stories.dark in this stylish and contemporary reimagining of one of mythology's best-known stories.” This graphic novel is just lushness! So beautifully drawn :wub:

Edited by Marie H

Just finished Barbara Stonneberg-Rilinger's slim little tome The Holy Roman Empire, A Short History. And if you think that's a bit contradictory, it might have been a mere 150 pages long (some feat when dealing with the HRE!) but I found it tough enough going for it to feel like a far larger book!  A useful politically-orientated overview, but felt rather soulless. I'm intending to try and tackle Peter Wilson's rather larger effort (700 pages excluding notes!) next year and wanted some sort of framework within which to place it, so hoping that this will prove useful on that front at least.  3 out of 6 stars (an OK read).

Edited by willoyd

Completed the first of a pair of complimentary books.  This one was The Portrait of a Tortoise by Sylvia Townsend-Warner and Gilbert White. GW inherited a tortoise from a cousin (Rebecca Snooke) on her death in 1780, note about which he'd been including in his journals since Mrs Snooke's purchase of the animal from a sailor in the early 1770s.  The tortoise, named Timothy, lived until approximately 6 months after White's death in 1793 and remained a regular feature in White's journal and letters (the latter collectedd together in his Natural History of Selborne).  ST-W collected all the entries involving Timothy into this book, for which she also wrote an extended Introduction (about one-third the length of the book) and notes to White's entries.  The result was a slim (just 63 pages!) but fascinating, and rather lovely, volume, of which I have a well read first edition (1946) - 'printed in complete conformity with the 'authorized economy standards'!  ST-W also comments at one point that she's not been able to check the how and when of Timonthy's carapace at the Natural History Museum (where it apparently resides) amongst other matters because of the "wartime hibernation" of the relevant papers!  5/6 stars - excellent.

So, onto Timothy's Book: Notes of an English Country Tortoise by Verlyn Klinkenborg, an imagining of the world seen from Timothy's viewpoint.

BTW, great naturalist though he was, Gilbert White was mistaken on one important point: Timothy was a girl.  Gender issues are obviously not just a 21st century thing!

Finished Timothy's Book tonight - what a lovely book to read at Christmas.  As stated in previous post, this was an imagining of the world as seen from Timothy the tortoise's viewpoint.  But it was so much more too - a meditation on life, how we humans see it, live it, affect it, on the natural world and the 18th century world as a contrast and precursor to our own.  Made me think a lot. The writing style required some concentration, but I enjoyed that!  A full 6 stars, the fourth set this year.  TBH, I see these last two books as very much a partnership (if unbeknownst to the authors!) - one without the other would be all the lesser.  So, those 6 stars awarded jointly!

Edited by willoyd

I'm binge reading very light stuff, my dog, my friend for over 13 years, was put down just before Christmas and there's a huge dog-shaped hole, I'm finding it hard to focus on anything too sad or difficult. That's why I'm really struggling with Property by Valerie Martin which I'm re-reading for my book group, which is about slavery in Louisiana in 1826 and doesn't have a single sympathetic character in it. I'll have to continue as I've promised to pass it on.

12 minutes ago, France said:

I'm binge reading very light stuff, my dog, my friend for over 13 years, was put down just before Christmas and there's a huge dog-shaped hole, I'm finding it hard to focus on anything too sad or difficult. That's why I'm really struggling with Property by Valerie Martin which I'm re-reading for my book group, which is about slavery in Louisiana in 1826 and doesn't have a single sympathetic character in it. I'll have to continue as I've promised to pass it on.

Im sorry to hear about your dog, they truly are wonderful companions. 

36 minutes ago, France said:

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. 

Edited by lunababymoonchild

On 12/28/2021 at 11:02 AM, France said:

We lost two of our four dachshunds in the space of a year (June 2020 & August 2021). Both with the same spinal issues. 

Fortunately, we have their brother and sister to keep us distracted.

This is one of them. Munchkin.

daxies-93.thumb.jpg.fbaf8ca8652d28a2356b068f8927a134.jpg

Edited by Hux

Munchkin looks enoiugh to distract anyone!

We're lucky enough to have 2 still with us, my daughter's dog Dino and Ingie whom we rescued last year after he'd spent 5 years in a refuge. They are both delightful but neither of them smile like Desi did and I miss being greeted by this:image.thumb.png.9fceccccd96abcdc01eecffe045e0b54.png

1 hour ago, France said:

Munchkin looks enoiugh to distract anyone!

We're lucky enough to have 2 still with us, my daughter's dog Dino and Ingie whom we rescued last year after he'd spent 5 years in a refuge. They are both delightful but neither of them smile like Desi did and I miss being greeted by this:image.thumb.png.9fceccccd96abcdc01eecffe045e0b54.png

Awww, that would do it for me too. We deliberately don't keep a dog these days because we can't deal with the loss of one - we only ever kept one at a time - nothing feels right without them. 

On 28/12/2021 at 11:02 AM, France said:

I’m so sorry to hear about your dog. They are the best friends and really do leave a dog-shaped hole. Maybe you could pass the book on early but explain that you weren’t in the right mindset to finish it, so would like it back again when they’re done? 
That picture of Desi is beautiful! So obviously a very happy and loved dog.

21 hours ago, Hux said:

We lost two of our four dachshunds in the space of a year (June 2020 & August 2021).

Also so, so sorry to hear this! :( Munchkin looks so sweet (and what an excellent name!)  

Finished Frances Brody's Death of an Avid Reader late last night - one of her Kate Shackleton mysteries, this one set in and around The Leeds Library (subscription library, not public, and the oldest one going in England).  Read this for one of my book groups - the one based at that very same library (of which I've been a member for the past 3 or 4 years), and found it thoroughly engaging.  It may just have been the setting - the heroine lives very close to where I used to live in Headingley as well! - but I think it was rather more than that.  Will certainly try others in the series.  4 stars out of 6 (very good).  My 90th book of the year - the first time for a calendar year.

Last book of 2021 for me, appropriately another Simenon: Maigret and the Wine Merchant.  Pretty typical, although was amused by a reference to office computers at one point - this was one of the last written (in 1970).  Computers are probably the last things I'd associate with the world of Inspector (Detective Chief Inspector as he is here) Maigret!  A good way to finish the year off.  4/6.

Edited by willoyd

I just purchased "Pachinko" on Amazon. I got the kindle version as it was the deal of the day at $2.98. It was available at the library (no cost) but I decided to buy it as that way I can stop and start reading it at my pleasure which will permit me to read a couple other books in between that are coming available soon at the library. Pachinko is a fairly long book and I believe it is a slow read.

• Brian. unpinned this topic
On 31/12/2021 at 11:59 AM, willoyd said:

Last book of 2021 for me, appropriately another Simenon: Maigret and the Wine Merchant.  Pretty typical, although was amused by a reference to office computers at one point - this was one of the last written (in 1970).  Computers are probably the last things I'd associate with the world of Inspector (Detective Chief Inspector as he is here) Maigret!  A good way to finish the year off.  4/6.

I have developed a taste for Maigret too. The local supermarket has a bookcase and when you are finished reading and don't want to keep the book you put it in there and you can buy someone else's in return for a donation to charity.  It's been a great success and has only just returned.  I got five Maigret's there and they are very short, easy to read but adorable. I learned that Simenon wrote about 75 of them altogether and I want to read them all. Unfortunately, having 'bought' the five I have (and I plan to return them) for a donation to charity I find that the ones on Amazon seem expensive at £6 plus each, lol.    

Edited by lunababymoonchild

4 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I have developed a taste for Maigret too. The local supermarket has a bookcase and when you are finished reading and don't want to keep the book you put it in there and you can buy someone else's in return for a donation to charity.  It's been a great success and has only just returned.  I got five Maigret's there and they are very short, easy to read but adorable. I learned that Simenon wrote about 75 of them altogether and I want to read them all. Unfortunately, having 'bought' the five I have (and I plan to return them) for a donation to charity I find that the ones on Amazon seem expensive at £6 plus each, lol.    

Yes, given the speed at which one can get through them, they're not cheap at that price.  I do like the series bindings though - and did start buying them.  I've stopped for the moment though, as I've acquired the 10-volume Tout Maigret set of the complete Maigret stories (in French, surprise surprise!), and have started reading this.  My French isn't fluent by any means, and I do need time, space and a good dictionary to make progress (not a quick read then!), but I'm enjoying the fact that I'm reading them in the original, which seems ot add even more to the atmosphere.  This one, though, was one of the Penguin English editions, as I picked up 3 of them at the local Oxfam bookshop over the summer.

On 12/28/2021 at 12:02 PM, France said:

I'm binge reading very light stuff, my dog, my friend for over 13 years, was put down just before Christmas and there's a huge dog-shaped hole, I'm finding it hard to focus on anything too sad or difficult. 

I am so sorry :(. That is a great picture :wub:. May she rest in peace.

On 12/29/2021 at 2:16 PM, Hux said:

We lost two of our four dachshunds in the space of a year (June 2020 & August 2021). Both with the same spinal issues. 

Aww :( I'm so sorry. 

On 12/29/2021 at 2:16 PM, Hux said:

Fortunately, we have their brother and sister to keep us distracted.

This is one of them. Munchkin.

:wub: