Your Book Activity - December 2021

Brian.

The final month of the year is upon us. What are you lovely folks reading?

I’m about halfway through The Godfather by Mario Puzo and I’m going to start a forum favourite after dinner tonight, The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller.

I'm putting aside the Barbara Erskine for a while, to be honest it's dragging a bit and the "heroine" is getting on my nerves!  Starting Christmas reads now, "A Noel Killing" by M L Longworth, cosy crime set in lovely Aix-en-Provence.

Finished Adam Rutherford's How To Argue With A Racist.  There's an excellent review on Amazon by 'Telemeter' that pretty much says it all: 5 stars for intent, 2 stars for execution, 3 overall.  Not surprised it (the review) has garnered 211 'helpful's (one of them being from me!). As far as it goes it's fine, but all too often slides around issues (not least on sporting achievement).  Probably the most disappointing book I've read this year - expected much  but IMO it failed to deliver - so, as such, I'm disagreeing with 'Telemeter' on this point alone and giving it 2*.

Edited by willoyd

I've currently got two books on the go. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. I am about 100 pages into this and plan to finish today as long as I don't get too busy with other things. I have to confess that although I am enjoying it so far it's not completely grabbed me yet. The other book is And Away... by Bob Mortimer which I am consuming via audiobook and has had me laughing a lot already.

Currently reading Owen Wister's The Virginian, apparently the original Western novel.  Proving an excellent read so far (just on half way through). I remember the TV series with James Drury and Doug McClure (although McClure's character in the TV show was a 'goodie', but is a bit of a 'baddie' in the book!).

I just started "The Lincoln Highway" by Amor Towles. It has received great reviews and several are calling it the book of the year. Some even describe it as a Classic. We shall see.

I will be satisfied if it is as good as his previous book A Gentleman in Moscow. :) 

On 12/12/2021 at 3:31 PM, muggle not said:

I just started "The Lincoln Highway" by Amor Towles. It has received great reviews and several are calling it the book of the year. Some even describe it as a Classic. We shall see.

I will be satisfied if it is as good as his previous book A Gentleman in Moscow. :) 

Do let us all know what you think of it once you've finished. I really want to read this.

On 12/12/2021 at 9:31 AM, muggle not said:

4 hours ago, France said:

Do let us all know what you think of it once you've finished. I really want to read this.

2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Me too

I will definitely let you all know what I thought of the book. I am a relatively slow reader and am only 50% through the book so it may be a little while before I finish it, especially with Christmas things to do. :)