The Unvanquished

lunababymoonchild

Amazon puts it best : In a series of episodes set during and after the American Civil War Faulkner profiles the people of the South - who might surrender but could never be vanquished. 

What's not clear from that is that the episodes are chapters in the book and the people of the South are the one family (Sartoris) and the lives they touch during the Civil War. Faulkner's prose is stunning as always, and I took my time reading this so that I could enjoy it for as long as possible. Generally speaking what you read about is how the women fared when their men were off fighting the war and Faulkner does mention that the women didn't get to decide to go to war nor did they decide to surrender but just had to deal with what the situation threw at them.  And naturally they coped very well. A story of black and white, rich and poor, women and children in a time and place that has elsewhere been described as Gone With the Wind.

Very recommended and not stream of consciousness 

On 11/22/2021 at 4:48 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

Amazon puts it best : In a series of episodes set during and after the American Civil War Faulkner profiles the people of the South - who might surrender but could never be vanquished. 

What's not clear from that is that the episodes are chapters in the book and the people of the South are the one family (Sartoris) and the lives they touch during the Civil War. Faulkner's prose is stunning as always, and I took my time reading this so that I could enjoy it for as long as possible. Generally speaking what you read about is how the women fared when their men were off fighting the war and Faulkner does mention that the women didn't get to decide to go to war nor did they decide to surrender but just had to deal with what the situation threw at them.  And naturally they coped very well. A story of black and white, rich and poor, women and children in a time and place that has elsewhere been described as Gone With the Wind.

Very recommended and not stream of consciousness 

Very good review. I will add the book to my TBR list. 

You have been reading some classy books.

On 03/12/2021 at 5:48 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

I just love William Faulkner and am restricting myself to one a year so it's a special treat.

I like doing that too sometimes with some authors I love! Good to know it's not just me who does that :).

On 12/3/2021 at 11:48 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

Thank you.

I just love William Faulkner and am restricting myself to one a year so it's a special treat.

On 12/9/2021 at 2:58 AM, Athena said:

I like doing that too sometimes with some authors I love! Good to know it's not just me who does that :).

I do just the opposite. When I find a great author I frequently read all of his/her books one after the other. At my age I am afraid of not getting to read all the books by the author. If I restricted just one of the books a year i am pretty sure that I wouldn't get to read many of some authors like Faulkner. :)

8 hours ago, muggle not said:

I do just the opposite. When I find a great author I frequently read all of his/her books one after the other. At my age I am afraid of not getting to read all the books by the author. If I restricted just one of the books a year i am pretty sure that I wouldn't get to read many of some authors like Faulkner. :)

I'm fast approaching that age myself but just now I have the luxury :lol:

Edited by lunababymoonchild

• 2 weeks later...

I finished reading The Unvanquished last night. The writing was awesome. I enjoyed the book very much and will have to read more of Faulkner.

The Unvanquished is a book that I will re-read, probably sooner than later. It is a book that I will take more time in reading and enjoying every single word.

Edited by muggle not

12 hours ago, muggle not said:

I finished reading The Unvanquished last night. The writing was awesome. I enjoyed the book very much and will have to read more of Faulkner.

The Unvanquished is a book that I will re-read, probably sooner than later. It is a book that I will take more time in reading and enjoying every single word.

I find that his books are to be savoured. I read that one slowly so that I could and I will re-read it.