The Lord of the Rings

Raven

I’d suggest setting a reading target and a deadline (eg 3 chapters in a week) and then we can discuss the chapters read before moving on to the next set point. I’ve not done one of these before though so I’m happy for others to suggest something different. 

5 hours ago, Brian. said:

I’d suggest setting a reading target and a deadline (eg 3 chapters in a week) and then we can discuss the chapters read before moving on to the next set point. I’ve not done one of these before though so I’m happy for others to suggest something different. 

This sounds like a good idea to me :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of a reply on this; things have been a little hectic over the last few weeks...

62 chapters ate three a week would mean this will take 21 weeks to get through - would that be quick enough?

On the other hand, would 5 chapters a week be too much?

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Virginia said:

Just saw this. is it still on? Is it too late? I'd love to do the group read!

Not too late at all, it hasn’t started yet :lol:.

On 29/11/2021 at 10:36 PM, Raven said:

So how do we do this? Not done one of these before!

Did you have a start date in mind? 

• Raven locked this topic
  • Raven unlocked this topic

I’m in. For some reason I thought LOTR was one book and not a trilogy of books so I was a little surprised when I discovered my Kindle copy is over 1000 pages long. I’m really looking forward to starting the actual reading later this afternoon.

I think I read that it was originally intended to be one book, but the publisher made him split it into smaller parts!  The editions I've got actually show each book as being in 2 parts, so it's actually a six parter, rather than a trilogy.

16 hours ago, Raven said:

Hope you've all started!

Tick-tock!

So who is taking part? Sound off below!

I am but I’m waiting for my book to come! (I was going to borrow the series from my sister but decided I’d like to have one of my own). It should be here by tomorrow :)

4 hours ago, Madeleine said:

the publisher made him split it into smaller parts! 

It was a good decision :lol:

On 1/10/2022 at 2:41 PM, Hayley said:

I was going to borrow the series from my sister but decided I’d like to have one of my own

Sounds like a good plan.

Anyone else taking part?

@virginia @timebug @Madeleine