Your Book Activity - November 2021

Marie H

11 hours ago, willoyd said:

Have you read anything on a Kindle (Paperwhite). If so, how does it compare?  Overall, what are you comparing it with?  Interested, as don't know many (any others!) with anything other than a Kindle when it comes to e-reading.

The Byrne is on my TBR shelf - I loved her biog of Jane Austen, one of the best I've read.

I  was given my original Kobo, similar to the basic Kindle, when Amazon was playing silly b's with certain publishers and refusing to list their titles, as it gave you wider choice (apart from books published by Amazon of course).  Kobo uses epub so you can download books from most places, you can also get a programme to strip DRM from Kindle titles and convert them to epub, I don't bother with either any longer as I have more than enough books on Kobo to choose from.

My old Kobo is much the same as my daughter's Kindle, the new Libra, according to the reviews, is better than the Paperwhite - marginally! What I love is the bigger screen and it seems to be lit differently, it's softer yet I am happy with a far smaller font size than the old Kobo; more words on the page make it seem even more like a traditional book.

I wouldn't say Miss Pym is as good as Byrne's Jane Austen book but it's still very good. As was her book about Evelyn Waugh and the Lygons.

Interesting - thank you. I'm not sure that program will work stripping Amazon DRM - they've changed what they do again and it's getting quite complicated to sort.  If it does, then I could be in there, as want to keep my book store out of Amazon's control.  Must check out that Byrne book - it's a subject I'd be interested in.

30 minutes ago, willoyd said:

Interesting - thank you. I'm not sure that program will work stripping Amazon DRM - they've changed what they do again and it's getting quite complicated to sort.  If it does, then I could be in there, as want to keep my book store out of Amazon's control.  Must check out that Byrne book - it's a subject I'd be interested in.

I’m assuming that you have tried Calibre to manage your ebook needs? I know it converts different formats to allow you to use any ebook of your choosing and I always thought it could do the DRM trick as well.

• Brian. unpinned this topic
20 hours ago, Brian. said:

I’m assuming that you have tried Calibre to manage your ebook needs? I know it converts different formats to allow you to use any ebook of your choosing and I always thought it could do the DRM trick as well.

It used to, but a while ago Amazon recoded things and I don't think it's been possible since then (but I haven't rechecked).