Your Book Activity - November 2021

Marie H

• Brian. pinned this topic

I started to read Dark Waters by Katherine Arden and was about 2% into the book (and enjoying it) when one of my library holds became available. Th book that became available was Assassin's Quest (final book in the Farseer Trilogy) by Robin Hobb, so I put Dark Waters aside and am reading Assassin's Quest which is a large 759 page book (well over 800 pages on my kindle).

Edited by muggle not

I've been struggling to get into the books I am reading at the moment so I decided to try something else. I picked up Zonal Marking by Michael Cox which is about how football tactics have changed in Europe since the 90's and so far it has really grabbed my interest.

On 05/11/2021 at 9:20 AM, Brian. said:

I've been struggling to get into the books I am reading at the moment so I decided to try something else. I picked up Zonal Marking by Michael Cox which is about how football tactics have changed in Europe since the 90's and so far it has really grabbed my interest.

I'm sure my boyfriend was watching a video on this exact subject a few weeks ago. If you think the book is good I'll have to recommend it to him!

Reading mojo is lacking atm, so it’s hello to audiobooks - Rivers of London #8 False Value 26% listened, and I’m loving it. Another E-library audio I’m re-listening is Crooked Heart by Lissa Evans; another good story. Just 1 more hour to go! :)

Just bought : 

Agnes Grey, Brontë, Anne

The Penguin Book of Exorcisms, Laycock, Joseph P.

A Hero of Our Time, Lermontov, Mikhail

Zeno's Conscience, Svevo, Italo

The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Dickens, Charles

The Celibates Trilogy: Pierrette, The Vicar of Tours & The Black Sheep (The Two Brothers), Balzac, Honoré de

P`ere Goriot, Balzac, Honoré de

Alias Grace, Atwood, Margaret

Just using up a birthday gift certificate from February

Edited by lunababymoonchild

On 18/11/2021 at 6:37 PM, Brian. said:

I made a start on The Godfather by Mario Puzo this morning. I've seen the movie many times so it will be interesting to see where the book and movie differ.

One of my favourites and most often read. The movie producer finding Khartoum's head in his bed remains my favourite scene (I daresay that says a lot about me!)

Currently reading Agnes Grey, Anne Brontë

On 16/11/2021 at 5:57 PM, Barbs said:

Currently re-reading Mansfield Park in half hour bursts. Just finished The Fifth Problem by Michael Lewis and just started Five Red Herrings by Dorothy L Sayers.  

I do like a Dorothy L Sayers! :) Have you read many of her others?

Been trundling steadily through a few books this month:

The Great Level by Stella Tillyard *****

Waterland by Graham Swift ****** (a reread)

The Mystery of Henri Pick by David Foenkinos ***

Elegy for a River by Tom Moorhouse ****

The Great Flood by Edward Platt ****

Migration by Melissa Mayntz ***

Summerwater by Sarah Moss ***(*)

have just started A Room Of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

12 hours ago, willoyd said:

Been trundling steadily through a few books this month:

The Great Level by Stella Tillyard *****

have just started A Room Of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

I hadn't realised Stella Tillyard had written any novels, thanks for the heads up.

We read A Room Of One's Own for my book group a few years ago and it caused an absolute explosion from one of the members, very proud of his working-class Welsh roots, 'She's complaining about not being given partridge for dinner. Partridge! We were lucky to get anything more than a crust...' and so on. He still gets teased about it and he still hates Virginia Woolf.

My reading highlight this month has been my new Kobo Libra, I can now read in the bath without worry and I had no idea what a difference the bigger screen would make. It's turned reading on a device from "OK but nowhere as pleasurable as a real book" to "This is nearly as good.' Real books are still just ahead though.

Actual reading highlights have  been Anything is Possible by Elisabeth Strout, The Adventures of Miss Barbara Pym by Paula Byrne (I'll be re-reading my Pym collection soon) and Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo.

11 hours ago, France said:

My reading highlight this month has been my new Kobo Libra, I can now read in the bath without worry and I had no idea what a difference the bigger screen would make. It's turned reading on a device from "OK but nowhere as pleasurable as a real book" to "This is nearly as good.' Real books are still just ahead though.

Have you read anything on a Kindle (Paperwhite). If so, how does it compare?  Overall, what are you comparing it with?  Interested, as don't know many (any others!) with anything other than a Kindle when it comes to e-reading.

Actual reading highlights have  been Anything is Possible by Elisabeth Strout, The Adventures of Miss Barbara Pym by Paula Byrne (I'll be re-reading my Pym collection soon) and Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo.

The Byrne is on my TBR shelf - I loved her biog of Jane Austen, one of the best I've read.

I hadn't realised Stella Tillyard had written any novels, thanks for the heads up.

She's done two.  Tides of War is the other, set in the Peninsular War.  Both generally rated highly.  I'm umming and aaghing whether to give The Great Level another star to move it onto my 'favourites' list. Reading was enhanced by the fact that I started the book whilst staying in the Fen country.

We read A Room Of One's Own for my book group a few years ago and it caused an absolute explosion from one of the members, very proud of his working-class Welsh roots, 'She's complaining about not being given partridge for dinner. Partridge! We were lucky to get anything more than a crust...' and so on. He still gets teased about it and he still hates Virginia Woolf.

The partridge didn't register!  I love Woolf, and really enjoyed here writing here, but struggled to follow her thread at times. Not untypical of some of her novels too!  I'll bet your fellow member lived in a paper bag too (in a septic tank of course)!