Your Book Activity - October 2021

Marie H

The Hobbit was the first book my husband ever bought me. A very posh version too. No wonder I married him. :wub:

I had forgotten about the songs, which was probably a good thing to do. 

I am finally reading (ish)! I had to kill 20 minutes over the weekend, and as I always have my kindle or a book with me, I reached for it and started reading something eminently interruptible. Camp Half-Blood Confidential by Rick Riordan, a companion book to his Percy Jackson series. Dipping in and out of it is working well, so I will see where it leads. 

1 hour ago, Chrissy said:

The Hobbit was the first book my husband ever bought me. A very posh version too. No wonder I married him. :wub:

Never considered that one as a chat up line...

"Have you read..." <tension building pause> "The Hobbit?

*Waggles eyebrows*

"You mean that book about short people with hairy feet? Don't they just sit around eating and singing all the time?"

"Err, yes, but let's not get too judgemental..."

On 25/10/2021 at 11:52 AM, willoyd said:

Just finished in fairly quick succession:

Orchard by Benedict Macdonald and Nicholas Gates - a beautifully written account of a year in the life of a traditionally farmed orchard in Herefordshire. Insights into the fabulous natural history of the orchard and the damage we're otherwise doing to our land abound.  One of the outstanding reads of the year, and straight on to my favourites list: 6/6.

Why The Dutch Are Different by Ben Coates - an interesting insight into Dutch culture from a Brit living in the Netherlands and married to a Dutch partner (although she's barely mentioned!).  4/6 - a good read.

Orchard sounds interesting :). I have heard of Why the Dutch are Different but I haven't read it myself.

That's my 70th book of the year, the first time I've ever hit 70 books before the end of October. 

Congratulations!

19 hours ago, Raven said:

I knew The Hobbit wasn't going to be the same style as LotR when I started it, but I wasn't prepared for all the songs, and especially all the rather twee songs (when the Elves started singing to the Dwarves as they entered Rivendell I nearly threw the book across the room - that was the point at which I quit first time around!)

The Battle of the Five Armies, and the stuff with Smaug at the end of the book is pretty good, though.

I agree, the songs were the worst part of it for me (and I got close to DNFing it at that time), and the Battle of the Five Armies and the stuff with Smaugh some of the best parts. I gave it a positive rating at the time overall but I don't know if I'll ever re-read it knowing I'll have to read all of the songs again (a few were good or entertaining, some were just getting too much for me and unnecessary).

1 hour ago, Raven said:

*Waggles eyebrows*

"You mean that book about short people with hairy feet? Don't they just sit around eating and singing all the time?"

:lol:

I'm not reading any book at the moment but I have gone to my local library today and loaned books for the first time since 2019, so I have a pile of library books to pick from for my next read.

2 hours ago, Raven said:

*Waggles eyebrows*

:lol: I think everyone should have this as part of their repertoire of lurve! :D 

1 hour ago, Athena said:

I have heard of Why the Dutch are Different but I haven't read it myself.

You must get your partner to read it, Athena, and tell him we will be needing a full review! ;) 

Edited by Chrissy

6 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Aww! He knew the way to your heart was books :lol:.

6 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I am finally reading (ish)! I had to kill 20 minutes over the weekend, and as I always have my kindle or a book with me, I reached for it and started reading something eminently interruptible. Camp Half-Blood Confidential by Rick Riordan, a companion book to his Percy Jackson series. Dipping in and out of it is working well, so I will see where it leads.

Yay! I hope you continue to enjoy it!

2 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm not reading any book at the moment but I have gone to my local library today and loaned books for the first time since 2019, so I have a pile of library books to pick from for my next read.

That must have felt good! Had much changed since you were there last?

16 hours ago, Chrissy said:

You must get your partner to read it, Athena, and tell him we will be needing a full review! ;) 

Haha, that's nice of you. He's not much of a reader though and we don't own the book (I don't think I've got him to read anything though I have some books I think he'd enjoy if he was more into reading).

14 hours ago, Hayley said:

That must have felt good! Had much changed since you were there last?

Thanks, it did :D! Yes, the layout is a bit different now, they moved some 'categories'/sections around, some sections are in different places now. I must go back another time to explore more, it's been so long I have been there that I was up to my maximum amount of borrowable items before I'd even come near to finish exploring :lol:.

On 26/10/2021 at 7:34 PM, Raven said:

Or stories about short people with hairy feet...

:lol:

13 hours ago, Athena said:

Yes, the layout is a bit different now, they moved some 'categories'/sections around, some sections are in different places now. I must go back another time to explore more, it's been so long I have been there that I was up to my maximum amount of borrowable items before I'd even come near to finish exploring :lol:.

That's so nice though because you'll still have the excitement of exploring next time too! I hope all the books in your current borrowed stack are good :).

I'm glad my mention of The Hobbit sparked so many comments. I finished reading it earlier in the week and I'll post some proper thoughts about it in my book log shortly. I did laugh when I saw the comments on here about the songs. Yeah, I could have done without them if I'm honest. Despite that, I enjoyed my time with the book and I'm really looking forward to reading The Lord of The Rings trilogy when I finally get round it. There are just far too many books to read and simply not enough time.

4 hours ago, Brian. said:

Despite that, I enjoyed my time with the book and I'm really looking forward to reading The Lord of The Rings trilogy when I finally get round it.

There's an excellent audiobook of The Lord of the Rings, the one narrated by Rob Inglis. I don't usually listen to audiobooks but my boyfriend has the whole series and I love them. He just has the perfect voice for those books. 

On 28/10/2021 at 5:20 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

Currently reading The Haunting of Hill House, Shirley Jackson.

Very appropriate for Halloween :lol: are you enjoying it? It's one of those books I've noticed many times but never actually picked up.

23 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Very appropriate for Halloween :lol: are you enjoying it? It's one of those books I've noticed many times but never actually picked up.

It was suggested as such and having it in the house I decided that now was as good a time as any. I am enjoying it, but only 70 pages in so far. It's very well written.

On 25/10/2021 at 2:40 PM, Hayley said:

Wow, congratulations! Do you have an aim for the end of the year?

No not really. I've got to this stage almost by accident. I had intended to read fewer but bigger books this year but have in fact done just the opposite! I still don't seem to be able to settle to the bigger stuff, stemming from first lockdown, although I thought I had got over that. Apparently not! Hopefully next year.

• Brian. unpinned this topic