Keeping your TBR under control

KEV67

I don't like having a lot of unread books in the house. It stresses me out. But then I'm quite a slow reader. I probably have 10 or so unread books in the house at the moment, mainly from charity shops, and one on my Kobo. Currently that's about a year's worth of reading as my reading levels have been shocking in recent years. I'd rather put stacks on my wishlist in my kobo account and then buy them when I'm ready.

On 04/02/2022 at 9:59 PM, ~Andrea~ said:

. I probably have 10 or so unread books in the house at the moment, mainly from charity shops, and one on my Kobo.

You are the first person I've ever "met" who also has a Kobo!

I have to admit to having a lot more than one unread book on mine though!

1 hour ago, France said:

You are the first person I've ever "met" who also has a Kobo!

I have to admit to having a lot more than one unread book on mine though!

😆

I know, us kobo readers are a bit of a rarity I think. Kindle is much more popular in the UK but Kobo I think might be bigger internationally.

In the Netherlands there are I think more Kobo readers than Kindle readers (Amazon NL Kindle is newer than the Kobo systems which most other ebook websites in the Netherlands can work with / epub). I have my Kindle, but a lot of ie. Dutch book bloggers I used to read posts by, have a Kobo.

• 8 months later...
On 9/26/2021 at 9:51 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

I lost control of my TBR years ago.

I lost control of mine years ago too and although it does freak me out a little at the sheer number of them waiting to be read, I always think that there are way worse things I could be spending my money on.

I have absolutely no idea how many I own but I’d hazard a guess at over a thousand physical books and probably about the same on my Kindle, which I now never use and have completely stopped buying books for.

2023 is going to be the year I curtail my book buying though and I am working on a project which will hopefully help me in my quest to lower my TBR significantly, although it’s going to take a hell of a lot longer than a year for me to get it down to a more manageable level.

I’m not going to put a book buying ban on myself as such because we all know that those don’t work but I will be putting a certain amount of money in a jar after I read a book off my shelf and then the amount will double if I unhaul said book. The money in the jar is the only money I can use to buy new books with (whether new or second hand) so if I don’t have enough in the jar to buy a book that I want, then I have to wait until I do.

1 minute ago, Kudz said:

I lost control of mine years ago too and although it does freak me out a little at the sheer number of them waiting to be read, I always think that there are way worse things I could be spending my money on.

I have absolutely no idea how many I own but I’d hazard a guess at over a thousand physical books and probably about the same on my Kindle, which I now never use and have completely stopped buying books for.

2023 is going to be the year I curtail my book buying though and I am working on a project which will hopefully help me in my quest to lower my TBR significantly, although it’s going to take a hell of a lot longer than a year for me to get it down to a more manageable level.

I’m not going to put a book buying ban on myself as such because we all know that those don’t work but I will be putting a certain amount of money in a jar after I read a book off my shelf and then the amount will double if I unhaul said book. The money in the jar is the only money I can use to buy new books with (whether new or second hand) so if I don’t have enough in the jar to buy a book that I want, then I have to wait until I do.

I thought that I had around a thousand books too until I bought an app that I could scan them all into and hopefully keep track of what I own so the I didn't buy the same one. As a result I gave away many books that I knew I would not read and found that I didn't have that many. However, the collection has now grown and I've run out of space for physical books so have turned to Kindle. Not quite 200 on Kindle yet but I'm getting there. 

I like the sound of the money in the jar method and may just steal it from you!

17 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I thought that I had around a thousand books too until I bought an app that I could scan them all into and hopefully keep track of what I own so the I didn't buy the same one.

I have thought about logging my books like that, and in fact would love to, but I currently have a lot of them stored in plastic crates and boxes and it would take way too long and would cause too much upheaval for me to be able to do so. I am hoping to move house in the next year or so though, so that would probably be the ideal time for me to log them properly.

17 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I like the sound of the money in the jar method and may just steal it from you!

Feel free to steal it.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea as I think it would motivate me more. I have settled on 50 pence for each book read, and a further 50 pence if I unhaul it so it will take me a while to get a decent amount in the jar.

Ideally, I’d love to go a full year without touching the money in the jar and then go on a book buying spree at the end, but I’m not sure I have the willpower!

27 minutes ago, Kudz said:

I have thought about logging my books like that, and in fact would love to, but I currently have a lot of them stored in plastic crates and boxes and it would take way too long and would cause too much upheaval for me to be able to do so. I am hoping to move house in the next year or so though, so that would probably be the ideal time for me to log them properly.

I have to be honest, I nearly lost the will to live scanning what I had and am grateful that it wasn't a thousand. I'm up to 768 books altogether but that includes the e-books that I bought this year (but not all). It did lead to a big clear out, which was great.

29 minutes ago, Kudz said:

Feel free to steal it.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea as I think it would motivate me more. I have settled on 50 pence for each book read, and a further 50 pence if I unhaul it so it will take me a while to get a decent amount in the jar.

Ideally, I’d love to go a full year without touching the money in the jar and then go on a book buying spree at the end, but I’m not sure I have the willpower!

Thank you, it sounds very sensible, although I'm not so sure I'd have the willpower either. 

I'm so glad most people on this thread have large TBR lists - makes me feel like I have less of a problem 😂.

I have a Bookstagram account and since then my TBR is out of control as I am always adding books onto the list - sometimes 5-10 a day although I do use my Bookstagram and Goodread accounts more to bookmark books than an actual intention to read them all, then if I want to choose a book I can take a look through them.

Although I am a massive impulse buyer and love a 99p book on Kindle as well! 

20 hours ago, MikeWilson said:

Although I am a massive impulse buyer and love a 99p book on Kindle as well! 

This was my downfall. 99p for a book is an absolute bargain and at one point I was checking the Kindle Monthly Deals each month and clicking on that buy button way too often. I’ve been much better recently though and have avoided looking at them at all; I am determined to try and get through the ones I already have before buying any more.

My other problem though is that I will always pick a physical book over a kindle book so I’m not getting through the kindle books that fast.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 6:09 PM, Kudz said:

My other problem though is that I will always pick a physical book over a kindle book so I’m not getting through the kindle books that fast.

I have the same problem too as I always prefer a physical book!! Also sometimes have to remind myself I already have the Kindle edition when I'm about to buy the physical one 🤣

3 minutes ago, MikeWilson said:

I have the same problem too as I always prefer a physical book!! Also sometimes have to remind myself I already have the Kindle edition when I'm about to buy the physical one 🤣

If I really love a book I have on the Kobo I'll look out for the real life version! It doesn't help with the sheer number of books in the house.

Edited by France
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2022 at 9:56 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

I thought that I had around a thousand books too until I bought an app that I could scan them all into and hopefully keep track of what I own so the I didn't buy the same one. As a result I gave away many books that I knew I would not read and found that I didn't have that many.

Opposite way round for me! I started keeping a LibraryThing account (see my signature!), with my books logged on there, and found I had rather more than I thought - knocking on for 3000.  That's now down to just over 2000 (with another 400 on the Kindle, although only 170 or so catalogued), the majority (around 1400) of which are unread.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, willoyd said:

Opposite way round for me! I started keeping a LibraryThing account (see my signature!), with my books logged on there, and found I had rather more than I thought - knocking on for 3000.  That's now down to just over 2000 (with another 400 on the Kindle, although only 170 or so catalogued), the majority (around 1400) of which are unread.

Wow!

11 hours ago, willoyd said:

Snap, same here!