Folio Society

Hayley

I was reading today that the new autumn collection from the Folio Society is out and I know a few people on here love their books - so I wanted to share! I also thought it would be nice to have a specific thread for these books, to talk about them generally.

The new collection is here: Latest Book Releases | The Folio Society

They're all beautiful, but there's none in this set that I would spend a lot of money on. The really expensive one in this set is The Divine Comedy, which is £700!

If I was going to splash out on one of their current editions, I'd buy Mr Rabbit's Symphony of Nature and Other Tales by Charles van Sandwyk, because the font and the illustrations are so beautiful. If could really really splash out, I'd get the His Dark Materials trilogy. The spines and slipcase of that are ridiculously pretty by themselves. But it is £155... 

2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

The FS books are beautiful and expensive. Are these collector's items that are not read? I can't imagine paying £700 for a book especially when I can buy one to read for less. I do have more books than is reasonable so I suppose that I do collect them but none of them are worth any money.

The editions I have a certainty for reading but I guess if someone was to pay £700 for a book they would do so as a collectible investment. 

4 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Are these collector's items that are not read? I can't imagine paying £700 for a book especially when I can buy one to read for less. I do have more books than is reasonable so I suppose that I do collect them but none of them are worth any money.

It sounds to me like the Dante’s Inferno set is that much because of the art work. I also can’t imagine paying £700 for a book (imagine how many books you could buy with that much!), but I suppose there are people who spend that much and more on art. 

2 hours ago, Brian. said:

I guess if someone was to pay £700 for a book they would do so as a collectible investment. 

Again, like art I guess! Those really expensive ones always have a small limited number as well, to make them more collectible.

I have a few folio society books but they’re all second hand. I think the most I’ve paid is £30 for a set of Bronte books. They were bound in silk but the sun has bleached the colour. I actually like them the way they are, but I assume that sun ‘damage’ is why they were that price. Most of the ones I have were cheaper than or the same price as a normal hardback. They all definitely are for reading, but it does also make me happy to look at them because they’re so pretty :lol:.

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

It sounds to me like the Dante’s Inferno set is that much because of the art work. I also can’t imagine paying £700 for a book (imagine how many books you could buy with that much!), but I suppose there are people who spend that much and more on art. 

That I did not think of.  There's nothing wrong with it, I just wondered.

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

I have a few folio society books but they’re all second hand. I think the most I’ve paid is £30 for a set of Bronte books. They were bound in silk but the sun has bleached the colour. I actually like them the way they are, but I assume that sun ‘damage’ is why they were that price. Most of the ones I have were cheaper than or the same price as a normal hardback. They all definitely are for reading, but it does also make me happy to look at them because they’re so pretty :lol:.

Always a good reason to buy books, they are to enjoy after all. I'm on an Insta account who buys books for their covers, which intrigues me. So, she has multiple copies of the same book with different liveries (as the covers are called). I'd never heard of that either.

12 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

That I did not think of.  There's nothing wrong with it, I just wondered.

I’m really just guessing there too! I just thought it because they make a point of the art in the description of the book. Could be a marketing thing too though I suppose, by suggesting that it’s collectible art. 

12 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Always a good reason to buy books, they are to enjoy after all. I'm on an Insta account who buys books for their covers, which intrigues me. So, she has multiple copies of the same book with different liveries (as the covers are called). I'd never heard of that either.

I like the term ‘liveries’ for covers, it makes it sound as though the story is dressed in uniform :lol:. That is an interesting way to collect. I suppose you’d end up being able to see the history of that books publication and how it was styled differently over time, which would be good. What book does she collect? 

51 minutes ago, Hayley said:

I like the term ‘liveries’ for covers, it makes it sound as though the story is dressed in uniform :lol:. That is an interesting way to collect. I suppose you’d end up being able to see the history of that books publication and how it was styled differently over time, which would be good. What book does she collect? 

I like the term too and yes, you can see the publication history of said work. She prefers the old second-hand (classic) copies but she collects a lot of different books/authors. She occasionally reads them too. She posts rarely and sometimes we see a pile of all the one colour books - they are really impressively laid out and photographed. I end up buying the same book by mistake :giggle2:

11 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I like the term too and yes, you can see the publication history of said work. She prefers the old second-hand (classic) copies but she collects a lot of different books/authors. She occasionally reads them too.

I know it would take a very long time, but it would also be interesting to see the differences in the text through different editions if you were to read the whole collection!

12 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I end up buying the same book by mistake :giggle2:

You could just claim it was intentional and start a collection :lol:.

• 4 weeks later...

Just noticed the folio society have released their Christmas collection (is it always this early??) and it has a very nice illustrated Dracula. 
https://www.foliosociety.com/uk/new

On 14/09/2021 at 5:09 PM, Brian. said:

I definitely need to fill the gaps in my James Bond editions.

And a new James Bond with a very impressive slipcase! 

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

Just noticed the folio society have released their Christmas collection (is it always this early??) and it has a very nice illustrated Dracula. 
https://www.foliosociety.com/uk/new

And a new James Bond with a very impressive slipcase! 

They didn't do a Dracula edition last year so I bought a Barnes & Noble fine print edition instead. Do I really need two fine print editions of the same book? No, but I might have to indulge as it looks really nice. I was planning on treating myself to a new fountain pen for my birthday but I think Folio Society will be getting my money instead.

6 minutes ago, Brian. said:

so I bought a Barnes & Noble fine print edition instead

That one is lovely. The folio one looks worth indulging in though! I love the slipcase for that too.

44 minutes ago, Brian. said:

I was planning on treating myself to a new fountain pen for my birthday but I think Folio Society will be getting my money instead.

Well on the plus side, they do always send a voucher when it’s your birthday! 

1 hour ago, Brian. said:

I've just gone through and updated my wish list on their site.

I've actually never looked at the wish list function. Might have to play with that later, I like the thought of making a list of pretty books :lol:.

1 hour ago, Brian. said:

I think I'm going to need a second mortgage :cray:

:giggle2: maybe on a bookshop? 

On 15/10/2021 at 11:28 AM, Hayley said:

I've actually never looked at the wish list function. Might have to play with that later, I like the thought of making a list of pretty books :lol:.

:giggle2: maybe on a bookshop? 

I'd love to run my own bookshop.

I've just placed an order to fill up my Bond collection. :giggle2:

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

For those of you on Twitter - Folio society are running a competition to win 75(!) folio books of your choice to celebrate their 75th anniversary!

How amazing would it be!?

(If you can’t see it have a look at the forum Twitter, I’ve quote tweeted it there :) )

On 10/4/2022 at 10:10 PM, Hayley said:

For those of you on Twitter - Folio society are running a competition to win 75(!) folio books of your choice to celebrate their 75th anniversary!

The competition is also available on their website.

I may have gone through their site earlier picking out the books I’d select if I won!

17 hours ago, Kudz said:

I may have gone through their site earlier picking out the books I’d select if I won!

I may have done this too… 😁. I didn’t realise you could do it through their website though, thanks for pointing that out! 

1 hour ago, Raven said:

That is a dumb-arse way of entering your date of birth! Having to click back over 50 years x 12 months...

If you click the year in the calendar it populates a drop down box which allows you to choose the year.

7 hours ago, Brian. said:

one of my favourite books

Which one!?

There have been some lovely ones announced recently. I would get The Neverending Story and The Farthest Shore from this set if I could. 

Really love the new Frankenstein too but it is £300 😬