Your Book Activity - September 2021

lunababymoonchild

On 9/20/2021 at 9:10 PM, timebug said:

Currently re-reading the 'A Horseman Riding By' trilogy by RF Delderfield. I have read most of his work, and find him an engrossing and very readable author. He seems to have slipped from the public consciousness in the past few years, yet his work is of such quality that many of his stories have been made into TV serial dramas, such as the 'Horseman' trilogy (although only the first book, and part of book two were filmed!) Diana, To Serve Them All My Days,Come Home Charlie and Face them etc. Mostly done by the BBC but the one that escaped to ITV was 'The Avenue Stories' two books chronicling the lives of ordinary folk in a London suburb, which was filmed and shown as 'People Like Us'. Absolutely wonderful stuff (IMO) and for me, knocks many more celebrated writers, into a cocked hat!

Totally agree, timebug! One of my favourite authors. He is an excellent writer and I've read most of his books. My favourite is The Horseman Riding By trilogy, closely followed by To Serve Them All My Days. I've read The Horseman several times over the years and watched the TV adaptation again just recently.

I'm surprised more people don't mention him too. 

Edited by poppy

I have acquired a handful of books recently. Three I have borrowed from a family member and the rest bought in the last week. 

The Girl In The Green Dress by Cath Staincliffe

Cuckoo by Julia Crouch

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton

Confessions of a Forty Something F##K Up by Alexandra Potter

The Red Gloves & Other Stories by Catherine Fisher

Cold Hearted by Serena Valentino

Night Music Night JoJo Moyes

Gangsta Granny by David Walliams

Hope and Happiness in Bluebell Wood by Ali McNamara

I am starting to get excited about reading again.  According to my goodreads hadn't read for Over 8 weeks and most recent books read have been my nephews'. But as always I can add to my collections much faster and more easier than I can read them 😁 

Bought : Lady Audley's Secret, Mary Elizabeth Braddon and The Illustrated Varney the Vampire; or, The Feast of Blood — In Two Volumes — Volume I: A Romance of Exciting Interest — Original Title: Varney the Vampyre by James Malcolm Rymer, Thomas Preskett Prest, AND The Illustrated Varney the Vampire; or, The Feast of Blood — In Two Volumes — Volume II : A Romance of Exciting Interest — Original Title: Varney the Vampyre by James Malcolm Rymer, Thomas Preskett Prest.  Eeek!

Finished The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields, the 22nd stop in my tour of the United States (Indiana).  Immersive read, employing a wide range of styles to tell the life of 'everywoman' Daisy Goodwill.  5 out of 6 stars (excellent).

Being in the maelstrom of an anxious non reading phase, I made a decision to not allow myself to read any fictional text (newspapers aside) until next week at the earliest. The anxiety of not settling with a book was mounting, so drastic action was required! To keep myself occupied during any down time,  I have been working on some cryptic crosswords, and enjoying the frustration and "Eureka!" moments with them. 

Finished 2 books in the past couple of days:  Mrs Bridge by Evan S Connell, and Maigret's Patience by Georges Simenon.  Both fairly quick, but very entertaining, reads.  Mrs Bridge has many similarities and parallel threads to The Stone Diaries - an interesting coincidence reading them back to back.  Simenon is as atmospheric and lean as ever - one of his better Maigrets.  Both 5 stars out of 6.  Moved on to Losing Eden by Lucy Jones - a non-fiction book examining the science around the dangers of our losing connections with nature.  An absolutely essential subject.

• Brian. unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2021 at 7:20 PM, Lau_Lou said:

The Girl In The Green Dress by Cath Staincliffe

Cuckoo by Julia Crouch

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton

Confessions of a Forty Something F##K Up by Alexandra Potter

The Red Gloves & Other Stories by Catherine Fisher

Cold Hearted by Serena Valentino

Night Music Night JoJo Moyes

Gangsta Granny by David Walliams

Hope and Happiness in Bluebell Wood by Ali McNamara

I really liked The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle and I also liked Gangsta Granny. I have heard good things about Hope and Happiness in Bluebell Wood (it's on my wishlist), I hope you enjoy all of these books!