Victober

KEV67

On 27/10/2021 at 9:31 AM, Madeleine said:

There's also a disease called porphyria

Porphyria always reminds me of the poem Porphyria’s Lover which is pretty freaky!

10 hours ago, KEV67 said:

No!" Shouted Black Bill. "I can unearth the fox, though he had burrowed ten fathoms deep. This holy water," he continued, "which I took from a priest we murdered on our last cruise, is a sure machination of this imp of Beelzebub; a few drops sprinkled on the deck will make the devil put his cloven feet again in motion."

Wow they really wanted to pack a lot into a short piece there didn’t they :lol:

5 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Just read an interesting - imho - article on Vampires

Thanks for pointing that one out, it was interesting! I hadn’t thought much about how vampires were presented during the Enlightenment.
I wonder what Bram Stoker would have thought of our modern representations!?  

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now that I am nearing the end of East Lynne, and I can more or less guess what's going to happen, I have started reading the introduction. East Lynne was turned into a very popular play. Ellen Wood did not make any money from the stage adaptions, excepting that those who saw the play were more likely to buy the book. Considering it was so popular, it is surprising it is not well known now. It is rather melodramatic in a corny, Victorian way. I suppose that is one reason people stopped reading it. Its reputation was revived somewhat by feminist literature critics in the 70s. There are two television adaptions, One from the 70s and one from 1982. The 1982 version features Martin Shaw, who I remember from The Professionals, The 1970s adaption sounds pretty different:

"In the 1970s a TV dramatisation was broadcast from The City Varieties Theatre in Leeds, with the audience all in Victorian costume and Queen Victoria in The Royal Box. The famous TV host of The Good Old Days, Leonard Sachs, was present to introduce the proceedings."

The last day of October and I definitely won't be finishing everything on the challenge today! I am loving Lady Audley's Secret far more than I expected too, I just don't have enough time to read to the end today. I'm looking forward to jumping in to the thread on the book once I am done though! 

I have difficulty believing I read a book like East Lynne. When I was a lad I loathed Victorian literature, I loathed soaps, I loathed anything melodramatic. I pretty loathed anything from a female POV. East Lyme is all that.

18 hours ago, KEV67 said:

I have difficulty believing I read a book like East Lynne. When I was a lad I loathed Victorian literature, I loathed soaps, I loathed anything melodramatic. I pretty loathed anything from a female POV. East Lyme is all that.

This just reminded me of an interesting point I heard someone make once - that serialised fiction was the Victorian version of soaps! (although personally I love Victorian serialised fiction and have never been able to get into soaps...)

18 hours ago, KEV67 said:

That just proves that you have grown as a human being as you grew up, which is  what you're supposed to do.

• 1 month later...

Just one more chapter of my Penny Dreadful, The Frozen Crew of the Ice Bound Ship, to go. It was rubbish. The writing is verbose, so written by someone with a large vobabulary. But it was not as well written as your average edition of The Beano. I suspected the do-it-yourself publisher had made up the story himself,  but I doubt he would have used some of those words.