Tolkien by Humphrey Carpenter

JonCloke

Hi to everyone. My name is Jon and my claim to fame is that my mother went to St Anne's at Oxford in 1948 where she had JRR Tolkien as her personal tutor and went to lectures by CS Lewis...

I have been going through some family bits and pieces and found a couple of books I would like to know about - Humphrey Carpenter sent my mother a first edition of his book on Tolkien which he signed and sent a letter to my mother thanking her for the contributions she made. I also have a first edition (unsigned) of the Silmarillion..

I'll be keeping them for the family, but I wondered if either of these are worth anything...?

Quite probably for both, but this [forum] isn't the right place to get an evaluation or advice on what they are worth!

(We are a bunch of enthusiastic amateurs who just talk about books we are reading, we are not experts on books generally!)

On 8/11/2021 at 8:24 PM, JonCloke said:

I also have a first edition (unsigned) of the Silmarillion..

I also have a first edition of The Silmarillion and it's worth only slightly more than any other second hand hardback because the print run was huge.