Books that make you blub

KEV67

This can be a bit embarrassing when in a coffee shop or on the train. SPOILERS I did cry the last chapter of Tess of the d'Urbervilles. Moreover, I have always teared up every time I read the last chapter of Watership Down. It's not much of a spoiler: rabbits don't live a very long time.

There was a sad bit in War and Peace where one of the main characters dies. I deliberately did not read it on the train, because I was worried about blubbing. In the event I didn't blubb. I can't remember many times when I've blubbed reading stuff, but the last chapter of Watership Down does it for me. I don't know why, because it's a good an ending as you'd want for a rabbit getting on in years. It comforts me that it probably means Watership Down is actually a good book. I read it lots of times as a boy, but the last time I tried to read it as an adult, it seemed very old-fashioned. It is, however, one of only three books I have read in which a believable religion has been built by the author for its characters. The other two were by Ursula Le Guin for The Left Hand of Darkness, and J.R.R. Tolkein for The Simarilion, which was a sort of Bible for Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Actually, come to think of it, I blubbed the penultimate chapter of The Hobbit.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Anna Faversham said:

Tess of the d'Urbervilles - ah yes. I not only found tears running down my face but I also threw the book across the floor. I have never done this before or since. Some Thomas Hardy books really hurt!

I didn't actually cry at the ending of Tess, but I've never been so angry with an author about the ending of a book!

On 8/27/2021 at 1:03 PM, Hayley said:

I didn't actually cry at the ending of Tess, but I've never been so angry with an author about the ending of a book!

I felt like that about the last chapter in War and Peace. Nearly 50 years later and I'm still furious about how Tolstoy thought Natasha would turn out.

La Maison de ma Mère by Marcel Pagnol. I read it in the original French, because that's the sort of guy I am. I did consult a dictionary. The bit that made me blub was the epilogue. The author's mother died several years after the events of the book. His friend died in World War I, and his brother grew up to be a recluse and died young.

• 1 month later...