Your Book Activity - August 2021

lunababymoonchild

• Brian. pinned this topic

I finished Trick of the Dark by Val McDermid earlier this evening. It is one of her standalone novels and although I thought it was ok, it definitely wasn’t up to the standard of her best work. 

Currently reading The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah and am loving it.  Approx. 25% into the book and find it hard to put down. The writing is great by Hannah.

I was reading Pale Horse, Pale Rider but had to drop it after reading about 20% of the book. Just couldn't get into it. I seldom drop books.

Edited by muggle not

My reading mojo is very slow at the moment. Enjoying Elizabeth Jane Howard’s The Light Yeas (Cazelet Chronicles #1) and have just finished the first part.

Having some difficult with the Audible version of Oscar de Muriel’s first of the Frey & McGray series, The Strings of Murder. The plot is great, but the narrator is rather too theatrical for me, so it’s hard work. :( So I’m glad that  haven’t bought of the further Audible series, just the Kindle. 

Edited by Marie H
Typo

I am currently reading the new book by Stephen King......Billy Summers. It is about an assassin who only kills very bad people and this is to be his last hit. I am 20% into the book and find it hard to put down. Excellent writing by Stephen King and the story keep you on your toes. I really like this book so far.

2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Just bought : The Florentines: From Dante to Galileo by Paul Strathern  and Modern Guide to Textured Crochet: A collection of wonderfully tactile stitches by Lee Sartori

How many books have you read this year?

13 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Just bought : The Florentines: From Dante to Galileo by Paul Strathern  and Modern Guide to Textured Crochet: A collection of wonderfully tactile stitches by Lee Sartori

Oooh... I wouldn't mind your Modern Guide to Textured Crochet :)

My reading mojo has clearly decided to isolate itself away from me. I am really struggling with it, and that gnawing panic that accompanies the not reading just makes it all so much worse, and longer lasting. Dammit! 

I have been buying books though, including a beautiful book I have bought to give as a present, The Lost Words by Robert Macfarlane. Here is an example from the book (https://www.waterstones.com

The Lost Words (Hardback)

6 hours ago, poppy said:

Oooh... I wouldn't mind your Modern Guide to Textured Crochet :)

I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.  It's got oodles of stitches and I'm crocheting a sensory blanket which involves a lot of textured stitches and is so much fun, I can't tell you!

14 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

My reading mojo has clearly decided to isolate itself away from me. I am really struggling with it, and that gnawing panic that accompanies the not reading just makes it all so much worse, and longer lasting. Dammit! 

I have been buying books though,

I start twitching if I don't read enough during the day and you can imagine how I stress about that.  Perhaps some short stories to get you in the mood? Poetry?

23 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I start twitching if I don't read enough during the day and you can imagine how I stress about that.  Perhaps some short stories to get you in the mood? Poetry?

Poetry has been helping, the reading and writing of it. 

Usually I just tuck myself into an old favourite, but even that isn't working. This weekend I will be going through some books ready for donating - I'm hoping (but trying so very hard not to) this may trigger a "Gosh, I remember buying this, I MUST read it!". :readingtwo:

1 hour ago, Chrissy said:

Poetry has been helping, the reading and writing of it. 

Usually I just tuck myself into an old favourite, but even that isn't working. This weekend I will be going through some books ready for donating - I'm hoping (but trying so very hard not to) this may trigger a "Gosh, I remember buying this, I MUST read it!". :readingtwo:

I hope so too

On 8/28/2021 at 5:46 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.  It's got oodles of stitches and I'm crocheting a sensory blanket which involves a lot of textured stitches and is so much fun, I can't tell you!

I've made a Seaside blanket by Coastal Crochet and A Spicier Life by Cherry Heart, both used textured stitches and it was a lot of fun. Keeps it interesting with the changes of colour and pattern. It would be lovely to see a picture when you've finished  :wub:

On 8/28/2021 at 5:28 AM, Chrissy said:

I have been buying books though, including a beautiful book I have bought to give as a present, The Lost Words by Robert Macfarlane. Here is an example from the book (https://www.waterstones.com

The Lost Words (Hardback)

So sorry your mojo has gone AWOL again, Chrissy. I'm sending a little one to keep you company until your other one comes back :hug:

(love otters :wub:)

images (17).jpeg

4 hours ago, poppy said:

I've made a Seaside blanket by Coastal Crochet and A Spicier Life by Cherry Heart, both used textured stitches and it was a lot of fun. Keeps it interesting with the changes of colour and pattern. It would be lovely to see a picture when you've finished  :wub:

I'll be happy  to post a photo once done. Is there any chance that we can see yours?