Books in HMV

KEV67

I quite like seeing which books are in sale in my local branch of HMV. Strange that the vinyl is so expensive, but the books are so cheap. Also strange is that whenever I try to re-buy a truly great record, which I used to have, they don't have it. What sort of record shop doesn't have Beck or The Violent Femmes? Anyway, getting back to books. I am often intrigued by their offerings. They have a lot of sci-fi, music memoirs and modern classics. They also sell books like Naked Lunch, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and The Men who Stare at Goats. I am delighted that they continue to sell A Clergyman's Daughter by George Orwell. Orwell disowned the book himself, but I thought it was great.

• 2 weeks later...

They’ve done it for years in their bigger stores but as mentioned they are usually film or music related. They do stock other books but only ones which seem to fit in with a pop culture vibe. I’ve seen copies of Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas and they usually have a few copies of books by Ben Mezrich as well for some reason. 

They had books ranging from Fitzgerald to Austin (or should that be the other way around, alphabetically speaking?) in my local before it closed, by on a recent trip to the branch in Portsmouth they had a quite selection (although mostly along the lines of those listed by others above...).

They used to sell several books by Ira Levin. I was not aware he had written so many famous books. I did not know he'd written The Boys from Brazil, Rosemary's Baby and The Stepford Wives. They are all more famous as films. I read Stepford Wives. I did not think it was as good as the film. 

I also bought The Talented Mr Ripley and White Teeth from there. I don't like all their range, but it is quite interesting what they think will most appeal to their customer base.

Interesting! The one near me did have a bookshop opposite it, so maybe that's why they decided not to sell books?

On 03/08/2021 at 5:28 PM, Brian. said:

usually film or music related

22 hours ago, Raven said:

ranging from Fitzgerald to Austin

I suppose, when you think about it, you could put together a really good selection of books that are also films/ tv series/ have albums based on them!

2 minutes ago, Hayley said:

I suppose, when you think about it, you could put together a really good selection of books that are also films/ tv series/ have albums based on them!

With regard to the novels they stock, I think their MO is largely books that have been made into films or cult classics.  I picked up a couple of Charles Bukowski novels in there, for £3 or £4 each. 

1 minute ago, Raven said:

I picked up a couple of Charles Bukowski novels in there, for £3 or £4 each. 

Oh wow so they have good offers on the books? I feel like I missed out here! Mine just had loads of posters and t-shirts!

1 minute ago, Hayley said:

Oh wow so they have good offers on the books? I feel like I missed out here! Mine just had loads of posters and t-shirts!

Yes, I don't think it's been mentioned but the books are usually discounted.