A Mask of Shadows

The third in the series starring Frey and McGray.

This one takes place around the Shakesperean play MacBeth and stars Ellen Terry, Henry Irving and Bram Stoker*, who were all real people and who all worked in the theatre.  Death is foretold by smears of blood on the ground and death indeed occurs. As Frey and McGray scrutinise the key players, they discover that Terry, Irving, and his peculiar, preoccupied assistant, Bram Stoker, all have reasons to kill, or be killed... The other players aren't squeaky clean either.  

This all takes place in Edinburgh in 1889 and there is mention of Banshees and other supernatural beings.

This is a good romp through an easy and entertaining read.  OdM also reveals a little of his research.

Recommended.

*Macbeth is considered to be an unlucky play.

*Bram Stoker worked in theatre before he wrote Dracula.

Another footnote - Ellen Terry played Lady Macbeth and wore the most gorgeous dress which is now on display at a National Trust property, there's quite a famous painting of her in the dress too.

Must get round to starting  this series!

3 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Another footnote - Ellen Terry played Lady Macbeth and wore the most gorgeous dress which is now on display at a National Trust property, there's quite a famous painting of her in the dress too.

Must get round to starting  this series!

Yes, much was made of the dress she wore when she played Lady Macbeth.  Made of beetle wings it said.

ETA the portrait was mentioned too

Edited by lunababymoonchild

On 15/07/2021 at 2:37 PM, Madeleine said:

Ellen Terry played Lady Macbeth and wore the most gorgeous dress which is now on display at a National Trust property

Oooh I didn’t know you could see the dress on display! I’d love to go and see that in the future! 

On 15/07/2021 at 10:27 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

stars Ellen Terry, Henry Irving and Bram Stoker*

I thought the use of real people was nicely done in A Mask of Shadows. It didn’t seem jarring or clichéd like it can in some books. 

I can’t wait to see what you think of the next book Luna! 

• 1 year later...

About 2/3rds of the way through this and finding it a bit different from the first two, it's not a murder mystery as such.  I'm enjoying the references to the real people and the real production, and as Hayley says it feels very natural and they are a genuine part of the story.  Some great lines from McGray as usual!

• Like 1