Andrea's intended reads for 2008

~Andrea~

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put Eleven Terrible Months on hold while I went away for the weekend because it's a bit bulky for the plane, so I've now picked up Five Little Pigs by Agatha Christie, which is a lot slimmer.

I think I'll give up on Entertaining Angels since too much time's elapsed since I put it to one side.

Finished Five Little Pigs last night. It was a good ending. I thought I'd guessed but I was wrong. :) The book was a little slow, but overall enjoyable. Would def like to read more Agatha Christie.

Now back to Eleven Terrible Months which was put on hold because it was too bulky to go in my hand luggage last weekend :blush:

Beginning to struggle with Eleven Terrible Months now. I am on Chris's story and I have two problems:

1) I'm not getting on with the style of Chris's voice - it's a bit rambling and while all the little asides do reveal his character, it's at the expense of the story telling. This section could do with a bit of editing IMO. The bit where he starts to explain how to use commas because he's just found out himself annoyed me a lot. Just what was the point of it? :blush:

2) I've already read and know the story, because part one, Sue's account takes you up to the end of the time-line. Chris's story is just a different viewpoint, with a few differences in some of the events. I find myself wondering why I need to go on reading.

We shall see ...

Chris's story is just a different viewpoint, with a few differences in some of the events. I find myself wondering why I need to go on reading.

We shall see ...

I found Chris's story the saddest section and I was interested how the mother's point of view of events was at times different to his - although the book creeped me out and fulfilled a horror fix I was really taken by its portrayal of the family dynamic - it's something I think about a lot having teenagers myself.

Finished 11 months on Sunday, really enjoyed it in the end, although Chris bit could have been cut down a bit IMO.

ETA: review of 11 months to come.

Started The Mind of God by Paul Davis last night. A bit of light reading before bed, physics, maths and philosophy :D Still am determined to read it by xmas since it was a Christmas present (requested) last year.

Edited by ~Andrea~

Review of 11 Terrible Months - R L Royle

This is the creepy story of an ordinary family living in a council flat through a severe haunting, for eleven months. I really enjoyed this book but did think it had some problems. First of all, being as it was, an account of the same set of events recorded by three different people, this book was always going to face certain difficulties: by the end of the first account the reader has already come to the end of the story, so why should they read on? if the accounts were to be realistic, certain events are going to be repeated threefold, how could they remain fresh each time?

The author tackles these issues with some success and some failure. Some of the repetition felt repetitive, and some worked really well. I also thought that that the second two accounts should have been considerably shorter than the first, to give the reader an incentive to read on without thinking, 'oh i've got to go through all that again'. Account 3 is the perfect length, short and snappy and filling in the gaps of the other two. Account two however left me struggling. I thought it was far too long, and quite rambling. I do not need to see every idle thought in a characters mind, and a lot of Chris' account suffered from characterization-over-storytelling, and really could have done with some sharper editing (perhaps one of the pitfalls of self-publishing). That said, Chris' character and story were interesting, if overlong.

In spite of it's flaws, Eleven Terrible Months is a compulsive read, and I found myself immersed in a world I kept wanting to return to. After I had finished the book it stayed with me for days. I loved the concept of this book, the ordinariness of the family and the writing was fresh take on the haunted house story. It's a shame that this book failed to deliver its full potential, and a good book could have been even better.

7/10

Edited by ~Andrea~

• 2 weeks later...

Thoroughly enjoyed This Sweet Sickness. The protagonist is a real anti-hero and I think its testament to Highsmith's ability that she is able to create a character who is scary, unreasonable, obsessive, disturbed and at the same time sympathetic.

10/10

• 1 month later...

Well I finally finished Persuasion last night. I did enjoy it, but I wouldn't rush and read another Austen. She's very verbose, I do like the language, and I enjoyed the story and the characters, but it takes a bit more effort to read. I prefer modern prose, where the action is revealed rather than explained. I did enjoy the humour in it. 7/10.

I'm still plodding along with The Mind of God. Hopefully I will make some good progress now I've finished Persuasion. I'm enjoying it though. It has some interesting ideas. I find Paul Davies much more accessible than say, Stephen Hawking. Although I don't pretend to understand it all completely, I have much more chance with him than SH. After just a few chapters of A Brief History of Time I was completely out of my depth.

Next fiction book I think will be one of the Lucy Diamond ones from the comp.

Finally finished The Mind of God it shouldn't have taken me that long - but it was a hard read late at night (which is when I do most of my reading) Anyway, I enjoyed it. Some of it was tough - all the stuff on computation lost me a bit, but the stuff on physics and maths has whetted my appetite for more pop science. I might dig out and dust off my copy of The Quantum Universe.

Anyway - The Mind of God was all about the big questions of the origins of the universe, why is the universe the way it is? Why do we have the particular set of laws of physics that we do? Is mathematical truth something that exists in its own right or is it just a human construction? why does anything exist?

It's science bordering on philosophy and I found it very interesting. It asked some intriguing questions, such as, is space time discrete or continuous? Like, on a very small scale do things actually move about in little hops, or do we move through space in infinitely small increments? The answer is we may never know because however finely you measure, you could always go a little bit finer. There was also some interesting stuff about the paradoxes inherent in maths and logic and the limits of rational reasoning.

Anyway - it's probably not for everyone, but if you're interested in physics/maths/cosmology/philosophy/metaphysics/theology then it might interest you as it has a bit of all of those, although its main content is the science. A bit heavygoing at times, but all in all it was right up my street.

Next I think I'll start Informal Logic - yet more light reading :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well i'm thoroughly enjoying both the books i'm reading at the moment. I've only just got started with Far from the Madding Crowd but really loving it so far. I love Hardy's imagery. Still quite early days with Informal Logic but am finding it really interesting too. Caught up with it a bit on the weekend. Hoping to get the Hardy read before Jan for the reading circle but not sure if that will actually happen. Hopefully I can catch up a bit over Christmas.