Andrea's intended reads for 2008

~Andrea~

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it's The Hiding Place Corrie Ten Boom. I've not heard of the zookeepers wife, I'll look out for it.

Oops, it just sounded so similar to the synopsis I read, except now I see the setting is different. The other happened in poland.

I looked at The Hiding Place on Amazon and looks very promising.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying Out of the Silent planet. It's a re-read but I read it such a long time ago that I've forgotten all the details. It's a nice comforting read. I love a good bit of sci fi.

I had to put down Dinner with Mugabe it was just too heavy for me at the moment. I will pick it up another time.

• 2 weeks later...

Started African History: A very short Introduction from the Oxford University Press the other day. It's good so far. I like the compact format. The book is small and to the point. I might try some of the other titles in the series.

Started African History: A very short Introduction from the Oxford University Press the other day. It's good so far. I like the compact format. The book is small and to the point. I might try some of the other titles in the series.

Andrea - I have The Cold War, 20th Century Britain, The French Revolution and Christianity in this series if you wanted to borrow them? They are underlined in places as I used them in my degree but readable

Andrea - I have The Cold War, 20th Century Britain, The French Revolution and Christianity in this series if you wanted to borrow them? They are underlined in places as I used them in my degree but readable

Oh thanks Kate. That's very kind of you to offer. I will let you know if I get a fancy giving any of those a go :)

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Bridget Jones 2 pleasantly surprised. Wasn't expecting to enjoy it but it's actually quite well written. 7/10

Started reading How to talk to a widower by Jonathon Tropper. On page 52 and really not enjoying it. I'm likely to give up.

Utterly utterly engrossed in HP and Deathly Hallows. 2/3 through it :)

Finished Bridget Jones 2 pleasantly surprised. Wasn't expecting to enjoy it but it's actually quite well written. 7/10

I remember reading this years ago and it didn't fall into the usual pitfalls of sequels. So a pleasant surprise indeed!

Gave up on How to talk to a Widower. There is only so much self pitying whining I can stomach. I didn't like any of the characters so I gave up after page 52.

Started The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham today: a much better prospect.

Gave up on How to talk to a Widower. There is only so much self pitying whining I can stomach. I didn't like any of the characters so I gave up after page 52.

Started The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham today: a much better prospect.

I read 'Widower' last year and this is what I wrote about it in Librarything

- A very enjoyable read. Well written. The first few chapters describe the extreme despair of bereavement and I read on with a heavy heart. Doug, the main character, not wholly likeable moves towards resolution with the assistance of family. I loved his father's character, I felt quite tearful about him. Could be made into a great film.

So I understand why you stopped reading :D

I read Triffids as a teenager and it as stayed with me all these years

I read 'Widower' last year and this is what I wrote about it in Librarything

- A very enjoyable read. Well written. The first few chapters describe the extreme despair of bereavement and I read on with a heavy heart. Doug, the main character, not wholly likeable moves towards resolution with the assistance of family. I loved his father's character, I felt quite tearful about him. Could be made into a great film.

So I understand why you stopped reading :blush:

I read Triffids as a teenager and it as stayed with me all these years

I agree, Widower is very well written, the prose is very good, so it was a little disappointing not to warm to it more. Maybe I was a bit hasty in giving up, however I don't think I'll pick it up again.

The Triffids is great. I'm only 50 pages in, but now I've finished HP I intend to get stuck in :D

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Day of the Triffids Very enjoyable - although I've read/watched a tonne of these style stories now (although this must have been one of the first). I enjoyed reading this right up until the last page, although there was something about the dialogue that grated - I could just picture a very dated 1960s/1970s TV drama version. Maybe its my actual memories of the 70s TV series ...

Anyway, I can forgive the dailogue, 8/10 - classic sci-fi.

Next - Entertaining Angels by Joanna Bell, for the September reading circle. Read the prologue - so far so good.

I'm struggling with Entertaining Angels I'm on page 37 and so far its not catching my interest, and I'm not enjoying the writing style either. More comments on the reading circle thread. I'm not sure if I'll stick it out - I may give it to page 50 and see if it picks up.

Started Eleven Terrible Months last night.