Has anyone read The Murders in the Rue Morgue?

I read it as a twelve year old,and have re-read it many times. Poe was considered a 'pulp' writer by some of my elders (and teachers), or a man with a warped outlook on life! I simply enjoy his tales for what they are!

Yes a shame. They also warned us youngsters off H.P.Lovecraft and M.R.James, who are respectively, the top writers of weird fiction and ghost stories!(IMO)

Our school was staffed with ,in hindsight, poor staff. It was in the fifties,and WW2 had claimed some of the cream of the crop, leaving the shabby bunch we had to put up with. We had one good English teacher, who was able to encourage us in the right direction(s) as regards good reading and the classics, and I am always thankful for that!

Isn't The Murders in the Rue Morgue considered to be the first detective novel? It's certainly ahead of the likes of Sherlock Holmes. 

I haven't read it, but will add a big YET to that statement, as I do plan on doing so sometime. 

On 05/07/2021 at 6:31 PM, timebug said:

They also warned us youngsters off H.P.Lovecraft and M.R.James, who are respectively, the top writers of weird fiction and ghost stories!(IMO)

Wow, incredibly strange (and sad) to warn young people off texts that are considered to be so influential, just because of the genre!

On 05/07/2021 at 6:31 PM, timebug said:

We had one good English teacher, who was able to encourage us in the right direction(s) as regards good reading and the classics, and I am always thankful for that!

At least there was one!

10 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

Isn't The Murders in the Rue Morgue considered to be the first detective novel? It's certainly ahead of the likes of Sherlock Holmes. 

Yeah it is (or at least the first modern one) and I think possibly also the first locked-room mystery? It definitely doesn't deserve to be dismissed as 'pulp'!