Your Book Activity - July 2021

• Athena pinned this topic

I'm reading Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke, book 3 in the Inkspell or Inkworld trilogy, together with a friend/acquaintance. We read about 100 pages each week, and it's a long book, so it'll take some more weeks until it's finished.

I started reading Het geheime weekboek van groep 8 by Jacques Vriens yesterday, an illustrated Dutch children's book (ill. is Annet Schaap, I really like her illustrations). I haven't read this one before, I have read quite a few of the author's (Jacques Vriens') earlier works (this one is from 2010 so it's not a recent release, but I used to read a lot of his books when I was a child myself which was quite a few years ago). This book was actually published as short stories in a magazine at first, the book says. Anyway, I'm liking it so far.

I wish everyone happy reading in July!

I will whisper this, so as not to frighten my reading mojo.......but I have quietly started to read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. My To Be Read pile is tall in a physical book sense, and takes many pages up on my kindle so I decided to just throw myself at a book and see how I got on with it.

Couldn't for the life of me remember the synopsis for the book, nor the reason I had bought it so long ago, but does that matter? I AM READING AT LAST! :readingtwo:

:P Raven! 

Does buying a book safe count as book activity? I have wanted one since I was 10 years old, and saw a cheap but appealing one, so bought it. I have no proper idea what I will keep in it, so for the moment I have locked away a crisp ten pound note. I am ridiculously happy with it. Don't judge - it's been a long lockdown.

17 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Just started A Mask of Shadows: Frey & McGray Book 3 by Oscar de Muriel  

Quick :). How are you enjoying this book. It just went on sale on Amazon for $1.99.

2 hours ago, muggle not said:

I bought it. :)

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I hope you like it :mrgreen:

I just checked our library and it is available on kindle. I usually check the library before buying but this time I forgot. :blush:

Finished my 50th book of the year, the appropriately entitled Fast After Fifty, by Joe Friel.  Not exactly recreational reading (or at least read for pleasure/recreation), but, in amongst the padding, some useful material for this post-60 athlete!  Functional if not exactly gripping, so 3/6.

Completed Ventoux by Bert Wagendorp earlier this evening.  Attracted by the cycling element, but, whilst that added to the interest for me, it was really just a vehicle for an intriguing and gripping read that shouldn't put off anybody uninterested in the sport.  Anyway, I ripped through it in only a few sittings.  4/6.

I have finished The Chocolate Lovers Diet by Carole Matthews. It was a fun read and a quick one too. I read it very soon after the first book as I loved that one so much and wanted to continue with the story. I found the start a little boring but as it got on it picked up. I wish I could have given it 5 stars like the first but with the beginning and the main character annoying me at times it was a good 4. 

Hi all 

Saw the post and thought I'll post myself I've just started to read We Have Alway Been Here by Lena Nguyen I'm only on chapter 3 started it Friday I think and so far it's OK it's set in space and this person is shrink on some space ship thing with other humans and androids so far it's OK not really got into yet but when I'll finish I'll lets you know and if you want to get a copy then see what you you think I don't generally review books if it's something I've read and I love then yeah ill say a few things 

Hope you are all good 

Since I’m still struggling to really get into anything I decided to have a crack at something easy to read. The book I chose is Champagne Football by Mark Tighe and Paul Roman. It is a non-fiction book detailing the corruption and mismanagement of the Irish Football Association under the stewardship of John Delaney. I’m about 100 pages into it and so far it’s a great read.

Finished The Feast by Margaret Kennedy.  Very cleverly written book, handling some heavy stuff with a very light touch.  We know at the start that a number of people staying a Cornish hotel have been killed in a landslide, but after that is introduced in the prologue, we go back a week to explore what happens to staff and guests during that week, and, eventually, who survives and who doesn't.  All including an examination of the 7 Deadly Sins!  Pretty unputdownable.  5/6.