A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Janet

Brilliant review Janet, I have always wanted to read 'A Christmas Carol' but never got round to it, but you have inspired me to read it x

Nice review, Janet :biggrin:

I absolutely love this book and was hoping to read it before/during Christmas but I just ran out of time :cry:

I love Dickens writing style - it really makes this book such a joy to read!

Great review Janet! I normally read this book before Christmas, but like Kylie, I ran out of time (..I may slot it in next week though as it makes me unhappy that I haven't read it!).

I was talking about this book with a colleague today in particular with regards to the film adaptations. For me, strange as it may sound, I find the Muppets Christmas Carol closest to the book. I feell that the sets, and the characters themselves really are faithful to Dickins vision (in particular the ghost of Christmas present)...bearing in mind that I haven't read it for a year. My colleague heartily disagreed saying that the Alistair Sim one was more faithful (which I haven't seen). Do you think the Alistair Sim one is faithful to the book, or did they just make a good interpretation of it? Particularly, I'm thinking of Dickins' light humour. I'm interested to know your thoughts!

• 8 months later...

I *love* Charles Dicken's novels. Such adorable, charming and delightful diction. And his depiction is wonderful! He really brings his characters and happenings to life. I read a Christmas Carol every year. I have an old, prized - by me anyway :) hardback edition illustrated by Arthur Ransome. Other faves of mine are Oliver Twist and A Tale of Two Cities.

I really want to read this. I have seen numerous film versions of the book (with Muppets Christmas Carol being my favourite) and would love to read the book. I once read Oliver Twist and enjoyed the book a lot more than the film and tv adaptations (although the BBC version last year was quite good).

Stephanie - if you've seen the films then you'll love the book!

I haven't seen the Muppet one (sorry, but I can't bring myself to watch puppets in such a great story) but the films I have seen (Alastair Simm, Albert Finney, Jean Luc-Picard (can't remember the actors name!) are exactly the same as the book (apart from the songs in the Finney one! :) ) :)

Stephanie - if you've seen the films then you'll love the book!

I haven't seen the Muppet one (sorry, but I can't bring myself to watch puppets in such a great story) but the films I have seen (Alastair Simm, Albert Finney, Jean Luc-Picard (can't remember the actors name!) are exactly the same as the book (apart from the songs in the Finney one! :) ) :)

The muppet one is rather unique. I have watched it every year on chrismas eve since I was tiny so it's more for sentimental value rather than the story. I think I'll read this around christmas time.

Looks like a few of us will be reading it at Christmas this year. :) Maybe we should make it a reading circle choice (or a separate 'mini' circle read as it's fairly short). All this talk has made me excited to read it again. Bring on December!

• 1 month later...
Looks like a few of us will be reading it at Christmas this year. :D Maybe we should make it a reading circle choice (or a separate 'mini' circle read as it's fairly short). All this talk has made me excited to read it again. Bring on December!

Surprise! As announced in the most recent newsletter, this will indeed be our December Reading Circle choice thiis year! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...