2021 - Books Read - Muggle Not

muggle not

8 hours ago, muggle not said:

37. Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy) - Robin Hobb - 4/5 - Book3 of the Trilogy. i Would rate all 3 books equally a 4/5 although probably book one a little better as it involves the main character when he was a young boy. Reminds me a little of Oliver Twist (not the writing, the story).

Yay!! I'm glad you enjoyed this trilogy :).

8 hours ago, muggle not said:

38. Dark Waters - Katherine Arden - 3/5 - I was a little disappointed in what was supposed to be book 3 of what I thought was a Trilogy but turns out to be a Quartet. I believe book 4 will be much better than book 3 as that is when the "smiling man" will be more directly involved with Ollie, Coco, and Brian. 

I too thought this was a trilogy :o!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39. Daughter of the Morning Star (Longmire Series) - Craig Johnson - 4.5/5 - this book was probably not one of the best in the series but I really enjoyed it. I thought there was a little humor in it and the story and writing was just up my alley. Henry Standing Bear plays a nice part in the story. Sorry to finish the book.

• 4 weeks later...

40. The Lincoln Highway - Amor Towles - 4.5/5 - I really enjoyed this book although it got off to a rough start. The writing was great (5/5) but the story got off to a slow start. I found myself wondering when the story was going to start "moving". I now believe that Towles was just laying the foundation for what was to come. The storyline picked up and I really enjoyed all the different characters that was brought into play. I cannot praise highly enough how good the writing was and how interesting the characters were that played a part in the story. The Lincoln Highway, if you don't know, was the first highway in the U.S. that went across the country coast to coast.

The book took place in the 1950's which also made it interesting for me as I grew up in that era. I also had a work assignment of about 8 to 9 months in Manhattan in the early/mid 1960's and it brought back memories. 

41. The Unvanquished - William Faulkner - 4.5/5 - Enjoyable book from start to finish. Took place during the Civil war in the U.S. and the story was about people in the South. Good story and had me laughing at some parts and feeling sorry for people at other times, the writing was excellent. I will be looking to read additional books by Faulkner.

Currently reading "As I Lay Dying" by William Faulkner. I don't know if I will get it finished by the end of this year but I wanted to get it mentioned before the year expires. I am amazed at how good Faulkner's writing is. I am about 35% into the book and enjoying it very much.

On 23/12/2021 at 4:19 PM, muggle not said:

40. The Lincoln Highway - Amor Towles - 4.5/5 - I really enjoyed this book although it got off to a rough start. The writing was great (5/5) but the story got off to a slow start. I found myself wondering when the story was going to start "moving". I now believe that Towles was just laying the foundation for what was to come. The storyline picked up and I really enjoyed all the different characters that was brought into play. I cannot praise highly enough how good the writing was and how interesting the characters were that played a part in the story. The Lincoln Highway, if you don't know, was the first highway in the U.S. that went across the country coast to coast.

The book took place in the 1950's which also made it interesting for me as I grew up in that era. I also had a work assignment of about 8 to 9 months in Manhattan in the early/mid 1960's and it brought back memories. 

41. The Unvanquished - William Faulkner - 4.5/5 - Enjoyable book from start to finish. Took place during the Civil war in the U.S. and the story was about people in the South. Good story and had me laughing at some parts and feeling sorry for people at other times, the writing was excellent. I will be looking to read additional books by Faulkner.

Thanks for letting me know about The Lincoln Highway, it's now on the TBR and I'm glad that you enjoyed the Faulkner, I love him

42. As I Lay Dying - William Faulkner - 4.5/5 - Very good read. The writing was a 5/5. Supposedly this is one of Faulkner's top 3 books that he wrote. The more I read Faulkner the more I like his writing. I have a number of books that I need to read in early 2022 that I have on hold at the library but I am anxious to read another Faulkner. The chances are good that I will continue with Faulkner and read all his books.

Edited by muggle not